Gray Peak & Mt. Marcy – Warning see conditions section

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 07/13/2013

Trails used: Van Hovenberg, Avalanche Lake, Lake Arnold to Feldspar Brook to lake Tear of the Clouds for Gray Peak herd path & back, back on the trail to Four Corners, up & over Marcy back to the Loj on the Van Hovenberg

Trail Conditions: Overall in good shape to Lake Arnold as this is a fairly well used trail to Mt. Colden. As you get to the lower elevations getting close to the Feldspar lean-to, there is a lot of water.

A combination of several bog bridges are currently used to cross approximately a 30 foot stretch of water. One section is just has one wobbly board & isn’t anchored well. (or read 4 ½ feet of water equals chest deep on six foot solo hiker)

The heard path on Gray has a few scrambles that require care, including one almost at the beginning. (Forming I believe the valley the guide book warns against following down) The van Hovenberg was narrower than my memory serves after you enter the trees through Indian Falls.

Special Equipment Required: Zip-lock bags and feet that won’t blister in boots full of water, polyester clothing or neoprene for colder days when swimming.

Comments: – After the Seward trip, my swim & clouds, fog & a light drizzle ruining the views from Marcy, the idea of hiking a 5th day felt weary so there was no Sunday hike. Did tell some rangers about my unscheduled swim when I saw them on my way out. (The day began on the trail at 4:50 AM so the swim was about 8:30) Peaks 36, 37 & 38 in the Adirondacks checked off with another trip up Marcy and some other great peaks too. Putting off finishing until at least next summer. I’ll be back a couple of times in August, maybe I’ll get to 40. Going to do some favorites too.

Mike P.

[email protected]