Gray, Skylight and Marcy from the LOJ 2-16-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PackMule

Reaction score
Equipment needed: snowshoes no crampons needed, tons of food and water for such a long day out.
Trail conditions were good at the start from all the traffic around the LOJ, we started with a broken trail up to Lake Arnold. From Lake Arnold we broke trail up to the intersection with the Feldspar Brook trail which was broke from the lean-to to Lake Tear. We met up with ALavigne and Jen who worked with us breaking Gray and Skylight out. The route we took to Gray kinda wanders a bit but gets you there. Thankfully someone came in from Panther Gorge and broke up the back side of Marcy saving us some serious time and energy. The trail down the front side of Marcy look like it was traveled about as much as Route 73 so it made for a very fast decent. By the time we hit Indian Falls on the way down we had to break out the head lamps for the remainder of the trip. Awesome day with pretty good views but some brutal wind at the top of Skylight and all the way over from tree line to tree line of Marcy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!

We were mighty pleased to have you guys catch up with us at Lake Tear of the Clouds - I was not looking forward to 1500 more feet of fresh-snow uphill trail-breaking. Doing Gray and Skylight as a group of four was great!

Nice meeting both of you!

Andrew it was good to work with you and Jenn for the afternoon. You guys helped cut at least a few hours off of a very long day.

Hope to try to hike with you guys up Haystack this winter. Keep me posted on your plans.

Jason

Hi, Jason

So... the weather does look pretty decent for this Saturday, so it looks like we're going to try for Haystack then. I'll send you a PM to further co-ordinate.

Andrew, Jason, et al, there's a small bunch of folks planning on the same trip this weekend, although I'm not sure at the moment whether we go via Avalanche Pass or Lake Arnold. Probably just play it by ear and see which path is broken. I've done the route in the summer via Lake Arnold before..

Thanks for the trailwork, we'll see how much snow (if any) falls up there friday.

Bonne Chance on Haystack.

Jay

Last edited: