Gray, Skylight & Redfield

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashfordite

Reaction score
My nephew and I started at Adirondack Loj on Saturday, March 15th,. We pulled sleds past Marcy Dam and Lake Arnold to Feldspar Lean-to. The sleds worked very well except for the climb to Lake Arnold. For this section, we carried the packs and pulled the empty sleds behind. After Lake Arnold, the sleds were again nice to have. We pitched our tent near the Feldspar lean-to. It was great meeting TMax and Guinness. Thanks for sharing your water bucket.

On Sunday morning we headed for Gray and Skylight. All of the trails were well packed and easy to follow. There were no views to be had on Gray, but it wasn’t cold or windy. The area around Lake Tear was incredibly beautiful. The trail to Skylight was also well packed and easy to follow, except above tree line, where there was no sign of previous tracks. With the poor visibility it was difficult to distinguish the land from the sky at times. We used our trekking poles as wands to mark our route because we didn’t want to lose the point were the trail exits the scrub brush. This turned out to be unnecessary because we were able to follow our own tracks without a problem. No views from Skylight either, but we still very much enjoyed the summit. It was a quick trip back to Feldspar leanto for lunch and a hot drink. For the afternoon, we hiked to the summit of Redfield. The trail was well packed and easy to follow. Towards the top, there were a couple of forks in the path. Someone had kindly traced an arrow in the snow showing the correct way. Stay left each time. This was my first time on Redfield and I thought the trail was magnificent. We had very limited views from the summit because of the low cloud cover. It was a pleasant trip back to Feldspar where we stayed a 2nd night.

A couple of inches of snow fell Sunday night. On Monday morning, we packed up the sleds and headed for the Loj. It was a bit of a chore getting the sleds to the top of the pass. But from Lake Arnold back to the Loj, the trail was perfect for using a sled. The weather was absolutely perfect. We really enjoyed the sunshine and fresh snow. It was an excellent way to spend the last weekend of winter.

Len

Good job, Ashfordite! I believe I met you both as I was descending below Lake Arnold after coming from Skylight and Gray. (don't tell Pin Pin Jr. I wasn't wearing snow shoes!) Congratulations!
LL