Great Range – Garden PL

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman

Reaction score
HI –
DAKS newbie alert!
I’ve done a search and did not find this info, sorry if it has been discussed…

Anyone know the approximate mileage for the great range traverse starting at the Garden PL to Marcy – Gothics – LWJ - etc back down to the Garden?
I prefer uphills to down and hope this direction of travel is best.

I didn’t come across any TRs where someone did it this way, which was somewhat surprising since, for 1 person, 1 car, the loop seems logical.

Also – will I get hasseled for sleeping in the Garden PL the night before? Any better bivy spots near by?

thanks

snowman,

I recommend picking up the ADK High Peaks Guidebook. You can easily figure out mileage and vertical for that trip from info in there.

My guess is about 19 miles and about 7500' of vertical that way.

Not sure about sleeping in the Garden. But the first Leanto is only 0.87 miles in on the way to JBL.

Theoretically, sleeping in the car at the Garden is verboten! I have not done it myself, but I know others who have.

As TCD pointed out, there is a lean-to within a mile and another another 1/2 mile further.

If you are a newbie to the Dacks, I'd think long and hard about doing that hike. It is a tough one.

There are as many down as there are ups, but the traverse between Basin and Saddleback is best done from Basin to Saddleback, rather than the other way around. Other than that, I don't think it matters which direction you go.

Good luck. I look forward to the trip report.