Great Range: Hammock Friendly Sites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_swede

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to attempt a 3-day Great Range traverse in a few weeks. I'm wondering where are good camping options and more specifically, what sites are hammock friendly.

ferrisjrf said:
Any place below 4000 feet, and 150 feet from a trail...that doesn't have a "no camping" disc...should be ideal for a hammock. :D
Funny! Perhaps I should have rephrased it. Where can I camp along the Great Range that isn't a nasty, nasty thicket of spruce.

ferrisjrf said:
I suspect that water will be the real issue - i.e., where will you find reliable water on the ridge? There's been some prior posts about the issue, but I'd be interested to hear (from some folks that have been through in the last couple weeks), what the "running water" situation is like presently.
You're right. I found a thread on adkhighpeaks from a year or two ago that listed some reliable water sources:

"Reliable water:
Deer Brook, near the Hedgehog-LWJ col
10 minutes down the WJ Notch trail towards JBL
5 minutes down the Orebed Brook trail
Former Snowbird LT site near Shorey Short Cut junction

There is nearly always water available in a spring near the old Sno Bird leanto site. There is always water in the Gothics - Saddleback Col, though you may have to hike down the Orebed Brook trail a little ways in dry conditions."

BTW, the col between the wolfjaws is thick but I've tent camped there once. That is certainly more hammock friendly though and no water source there..

Jay

I know it is tempting, but do not camp illegally on or near the Great Range (a hammock is camping). This trail belongs to all of us New Yorkers; let's keep it natural and beautiful. If you are strong enough to hike the range, you are strong enough to descend to legal sites for camping.

No camping above 4000 feet

Camping between 3500 and 4000 feet at designated sites only. Currently Sno-bird and Lake Arnold are the only designated sites found between these elevations.

Pristine or at-large sites must be located at least 150 feet from roads, trails, or water sources.

(from Introduction in ADK High Peaks trail guide, 13th edition)