Great Range Solo Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamolaPat

Reaction score
Hello children,
A few weeks ago (the fourth of July weekend, actually) I headed up to the High Peaks of the Adirondacks for a little piece of solo masochism known as the Great Range Traverse. Did it from the Roostercomb Trailhead, along the range trail to Marcy, (including Roostercomb and Haystack spurs of course) then back along the John's Brook Valley to the Garden. Then back to the car walking along the road (possibly the toughest part of the whole trip). Anyway, I'm not too much for words these days, but I took some pictures along the way which you might enjoy. Check out my website for photos and a few more details on the hike.
See http://www.vu.union.edu/~allenp2 for assorted other random northeastern mountain photography.

Enjoy!

Patrick

Great TR Pat, we did the GR traverse the week before that but we parked at the Garden trailhead and used the hike to Rt 73 as a warm up. I told my partner that the van would look real good when we got back to the lot. A hike the next day was not something I would have looked forward to :) .

Patrick, those are great photos! I especially like the simplicity of the grass in the foreground at sunset. Jsut beautiful.

Hey you must be the guy I saw at roostercomb trailhead at 5:00 am. july 2nd.sorry not to stop and chat I was on a mission (see trip report 2 ranges 2 days 2 fun)looks (great photos) like you had a great trip.I was enjoying cold and rain after all the hot weather we had been having.I had wondered how you did as I saw your car still there on my way from swim on my way to trail for E. dix slides.
you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.(GD)look right.

Hey Grasshopper,
I was indeed the guy you talked to at the trailhead at 5 am. I was figuring I would probably bump into you over the course of the day and was kind of surprised I didn't. I thought I was going at a pretty decently solid pace (pretty much the exact pace I had planned on keeping), but compared to you (I read your trip report) I was going at a positively geriatric speed. Congrats on the time, you are truly an animal--but it's too bad you had the priveledge of experiencing much less pleasant weather for a greater distance up on the Range. Regardless, sounds like we both had a great weekend--hopefully I'll run into you again.

Oh yeah, thank you everyone for your compliments on my photos! See www.vu.union.edu/~allenp2 if you want to see more of my work.

Patrick

I checked out the link to the website, sweeeet! The videos of the backcountry skiing are awesome. I went to tuck's back 7 or 8 years ago and every year i swear i will go back, but something always comes up. It was so much fun going down tucks, almost back the whole way to the parking lot. That was late may and there was tons of snow. They set a record that year for snowfall. If ya like big bowls and off-piste, go out to trois vallee in france, supposedly the biggest ski area in the world, it is sweet out there, lots of big valleys.

Thanks King Tut, I'm really proud of how those videos came out. I'd love to get my hands on a higher quality video camera in a few years and actually make better quality movies.

I'll be sure to post future TR's here, thanks all.

Patrick