Grouse Population Explosion?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedan

Reaction score
A question for the wildlife biologists and hunters out there. Are we currently at the apex of the grouse population cycle? Skiing I have had them erupting from their snow holes from under the tips of my skis, between my legs, and one even hit me in the butt. I have never encountered so many grouse. I have observed this on the Tug Hill, central Adks., S. Adks. and the high peaks. I have literally almost run into several on a single day.

Does this mean a big swing the other way is ready to happen due to disease or a late spring this year? Just interested, thanks.

Also, if anyone is really interested for research purposes I can provide numbers and locations.

Grouse/partridge do have cyclical population swings. Much has to do with the weather in April - a warm, dry April means fewer chicks die.

Pennsylvania F&G has done lots of research on grouse and deer populations. I read an article several years ago which summarized the impact hunters have on the ruffed grouse population, and much to their surprise - hunters have neglible impact on their numbers.

Interesting question

I was on Hoffman mountain back in November. It seemed like every 15 minutes or so one of those birds would scare me as they came out of no where.

I have never encounter so many in one area.