Gulf Hagas, Me

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldmanwinter

Reaction score
Deerfield, NH Avatar: Attempt on Nubble 11/17/07
CINDERSMOM and I are staying at Little Lyford and Gorman Chairback Lodges next week for a few nights. We would like to snowshoe from one lodge to the other via the Rim trail along the West Branch of the Pleasant River (Gulf Hagas). Has anyone done this hike in the winter and is the river normally crossable at the south east end (i.e. frozen).

Thanks
OMW

CINDERSMOM and I are staying at Little Lyford and Gorman Chairback Lodges next week for a few nights. We would like to snowshoe from one lodge to the other via the Rim trail along the West Branch of the Pleasant River (Gulf Hagas). Has anyone done this hike in the winter and is the river normally crossable at the south east end (i.e. frozen).

Thanks
OMW
Careful. There was a death a few years ago in winter when someone slipped off the rim which was iced over and fell into the gulf. It was in the papers. Here's a few references I managed to find.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-11734094.html
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=988

I remember this well, the man in question was the owner of a local ski shop in my hometown of Bangor known as The Ski Rack, which is still in business.

Sad story. The word from people who knew more about the situation is that Jeff was still alive and conscious after his initial fall, and was alive when his daughter left to find help, but that he was deceased by the time help arrived.

What's more, I remember from reports at the time that the two were properly outfitted for icy conditions with crampons and axes, yet the accident still occurred.

Indeed, by extremely careful if you go in there.

Chris

shuttle

If the condition prove to be too hazardous to make it from hut to hut - the hut people will give you a rid on a snowmobile. Just something to keep in mind and to ease any thoughts about booking multiple nights at different lodges.

I had a great time at Little Lyford back in March, '08. Big snow year as you may remember.

We stayed at LLPC 3 nights, hiking the local area (Gulf Hagas and Indian Peak.) Groups of people came and went on their ski trips. A few talked big games at dinner, then we'd hear about #'s of them that had to be picked up by the sleds. Not saying you'll have to do that, just reiterating the option is there.

The Gulf was cool in the winter with many ice formations on the gorge walls. There definitely are places where falls would be very very bad, but I never felt the actual trail went too close. You just had to be a little more aware. The ponds had good views up to Mt. Baker, and Indian Mountain had views north and south IIRC. Have fun, its a great place in the winter.

Last edited: