Ha-ba-sa 2-7-11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
HA-BA-SA
2-7-11

This trip started with meeting friends at camp Peggy-O. Robert and I made it to camp first around 12:30, got water and heated the joint up followed by a deserved Nap from doing Sawteeth, Gothics and Armstrong the day before. When they came, they all came, around 4:30pm.. Enjoyed the night with friends and off to Bed.
A not so early wake around 6am we departed at 7am with Robert,spencer, coreen and I with hopes of all three. Well down the trail we ran into few guys that told us it was broken by them to Haystack, well our spirits increased by 10x. Spencer led with just the right pace. Soon we would see that Shorty was traveled with few inches on it. Up to slant rock for a break and onward we forge. Even at low elevations the winds blew thru the trees which made us think, what would it be at the summit. Arriving at the junction to haystack/Basin we break for eat/drinks and find the trail to basin lay untouched. Forgetting about that for now our goal lies ahead. The climb up little haystack and haystack was limited by clouds and snow, but our leader Spencer keeps us on track. Not to the point that we need goggles but still blustery. It almost was better not seeing where we have to go because it seemed to pass by fast.. Soon we all stand amongst each other on Haystack relishing the hard work and determination getting here… Our snowshoes have gotten us all the way here no problem. Back down to the junction we prep for the trip to Basin.
It was great breaking trail down to Snowbird. Only tracks around where that of what I think to be a pine Martin. Snow depths are close to just below the knee deep. We find at the intersection to Shorty and basin nothing is broken out. So the long hard trip up Basin begins as we trade turns punching thru the snow to the summit which offers the same white views Haystack has. Still early in the day we charge on down the backside to Saddleback which is unbroken to. This group was having a great time together. The company of Spencer , Coreen and My best Friend Robert could Not have been any better on this day. Heading up saddleback had our work cut out for us. Breaking uphill thru what was like 3ft of snow. Then the cliffs where bear but snow and Ice where in the cracks not letting out shoes grip much but Robert with His Hybrid Snowshoes, he took his MSRs and put his Tubbs flex binding into them which gripped awesome. He was able to make it up a 30ft scramble. Then We got the Rope out which made the rest of the climb safer for the rest. Finally after a great group effort we summit in strong winds and still No views. Here we would find the trail well packed for our return to Peggy-O.
After I life thanking Hug to Spencer for getting us up that cliff, we all just reflected upon the day one foot in front of the other down to the Cabin with one stop for some snacks. Wow, such a great day even though it was lacked by views on these peaks which offer some of the best. Arriving at camp just at dark without Headlamps our spirits where lifted even more my the Dinner Cindy and Brian had ready for us, spaghetti..mmmmm.. Tom and Nancy had brought some good wine to Boot.. The rest of the night was left to stories of the day from each group.. Team work had gotten everyone to there destinations for the day…
I’d just like to thank everyone for one of the best experiences this past weekend.. Cindy/Brian/Tom/Nancy/Spencer/Coreen/Robert… The lure of the Adirondacks and Peggy-O sure will live on in my Heart.

PICS

Last edited:
We were on Whiteface the same day, there was little wind but same dense fog, you for sure took a chance climbing Haystack with no visibility!

And I suppose it was the same once on Saddleback cliffs which likely made it quite daunting!

We were on Whiteface the same day, there was little wind but same dense fog, you for sure took a chance climbing Haystack with no visibility!

And I suppose it was the same once on Saddleback cliffs which likely made it quite daunting!

It was so real for sure but In great company with Spencer.. Those cliffs where quite the challenge, glad we brought the 75' of Rope, sure came in handy for everyones saftey.. Was some better viewing thryu my eyes than the camera for sure.

Congratulations. Sounds like good strong work. Tough going out there on the unbroken trails ...

Teamwork got it done...

Nice trip report Rob! The pictures are fantastic. It looks like fun weather to climb in. Thanks for sharing!

Karl