Halcott Mt, Catskills & German Hollow leanto

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keb

Reaction score
Looking to bushwack Halcott this Sat, but instead of driving up and back that day, am looking to spend the night in the area on Friday night. Since it will be close to dark by the time we arrive in the area, we are looking for a fairly accessible spot. Looking at the maps, I noticed that the German Hollow leanto is close to a parking area. I was wondering if anyone knew what condition this lean to is in? (ravaged by porcupines like Hunter, or kids like in Harriman?). Any input is appreciated.

Also, any input on the Halcott bushwack would be appreciated. Looking at the maps it appears pretty straightforward, (open deciduous, no impenetrable cedars!) heading up the southernmost of the 2 streams near the parking area, but interestingly, the ADK Catskills book says to proceed up the northnmost stream. Any advice? Thanks!

keb said:
Looking to bushwack Halcott this Sat, but instead of driving up and back that day, am looking to spend the night in the area on Friday night. Since it will be close to dark by the time we arrive in the area, we are looking for a fairly accessible spot. Looking at the maps, I noticed that the German Hollow leanto is close to a parking area. I was wondering if anyone knew what condition this lean to is in? (ravaged by porcupines like Hunter, or kids like in Harriman?). Any input is appreciated.

Also, any input on the Halcott bushwack would be appreciated. Looking at the maps it appears pretty straightforward, (open deciduous, no impenetrable cedars!) heading up the southernmost of the 2 streams near the parking area, but interestingly, the ADK Catskills book says to proceed up the northnmost stream. Any advice? Thanks!

The southernmost stream bed is a nasty, steep ravine in places.

The general wisdom on Haloctt is to head up the northern stream bed (keeping to the left) up to the ridge, and then turn 'left' to head up to the summit. You will usually find a herd path along the ridge line.

Yes, it's open woods all the way to the top. You may want to wear long pants (stinging nettles).

Tom and Rivet have covered the Halcott climb. I'll second the long pants suggestion. The nettles are thick this year in much of the Catskills due to the wet, warm summer. Rivet also has a good Halcott description and suggested route map on the localhikes website.

Did you mean Fox Hollow lean-to perhaps? Fox Hollow is just before Route 42 on your way up Route 28. The Fox Hollow lean-to (0.4 miles from the trailhead) was in good shape the last I saw it a few years ago. It does get a fair amount of use, however, so it could be occupied on a Friday night. There is a good parking lot.

German Hollow is much further west near Arkville. As I recall there is no real parking area, just parking along the road (it is a dead end). The lean-to is a 0.75 mile, a bit more than 500' hike in. Jay Hui stayed there in late May. He did not mention the lean-to condition other than there was not much water. He is on Rainier at the moment, and so won't be able to comment. It has been over 20 years since I passed the lean-to. McKenley Hollow lean-to would be another lean-to closer to Halcott.

Mckenly hlw lean-to was in good shpe earlier in the summer, water shouldn't be a problem. You may be able to camp in the route 42 parking area(Sherrill parking area) just before the halcott PA. I've seen hunters camped in there. Maybe someone knows about this?

Good advice as always. I was considering German Hollow, even though it is out of the way, just for variety (been to Fox Hollow several times), but the potential lack of water may be a drawback. McKenly Hollow is a good idea, thanks!