hale by fire wardens trail 07.15.05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
nhmtnhiker and his 14 year old son eric picked me up in concord about 4. we started up the north twin trail and at the first crossing, stayed on the left. after about a tenth we found the fire wardens trail. there are some stones there, but its also totally obvious. I like this trail!!! Gorgeous gentle and moderate grades going up thru beautiful birch forest. This was Eric's first 4k and he hiked like a veteran. No complaints, great attitude and fun to be with. The trail comes to a beautiful clearing with big ferns around halfway up. The trail turns right here where another trail appears to come up from the left. It goes nicely up the slope, enters softwoods, and just is delightful to follow and breaks right out at the summit of Hale. I finally have been attacked by the long lost bugs of summer. That's what I get for wondering where they were in my last post. Funny thing, the view from Hale is totally grown over unless you stand on the pile of stones. I remember back in 1984 this was a completely open summit with a 360 view. Things sure do grow fast even up high at times. We blasted down from the summit in an hour, with nhmtnhiker throwing blowdowns off the trail without even slowing his pace. At the north twin trail we turned right and RAN back to the cars in a mile so we could say we came down in an hour. I guess we were all in a fun mood after such a pleasant hike.

Nice TR! It is a pretty cool trail. I'd like to follow some of the other obvious roads and trails in there that I saw sometime and see where they go.

-Dr. Wu

Good TR

Hale is my most hated mountain, lost my big toe nail there, :mad: did it coming out of the bonds and Zealand. Wasnt on the agenda but we figured we were there so what the heck. Talk about bonking.

But your description makes me want to give it another try.

-PJ-