Hancock Notch - Hancock Loop & Greely Ponds - Mt Osceola Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoma

Reaction score

I started at 6am on the Hancock lollipop and found trail conditions to be HORRENDOUS. Frozen styrofoam on the sides but not strong enough to hold the weight of 190# man and lite pack. The main "broken out" section was postholed in the rain or shortly after and refrozen solid. Imagine frozen styrofoam and ice as featured as volcanic rock in places and 4-6" deep boot holes with frozen slop on the edges of each hole.
Water crossings were tricky but doable but there was not much in the way of ice and water was high after the rain.
I would avoid this trail until it fills back in. Unless youre on a timeline. The snow we got at the end of the day did not adhere and made trails MORE slippery. Once this layer (about 4-5" by the time I left the Osceolas) adheres it will be good again.
Climbs on the steeps were decent, not too slick.

Started on Greely Ponds at 12 and found it to be in MUCH better shape. No one had been out postholing slush so most of the trail was packed out and refrozen styrofoam form the rain. Osceola trails were a different story. No postholes but solid ice and very little in terms of snow coverage on that ice. This is the first time I used crampons this winter and they were essential. I made it up just below the slide crossing before I finally broke down and used them. On the descent it was absolutely mandatory as new low water content snow was stacking up fast and could not adhere to the ice so even with the crampons it was very slick.
The chimney was in nice shape, so I did climb it. For the ice climbers who read this, this was a great fun way to liven up the climb and if you are a GOOD ice climber the cliffs above the trail were holding some amazing looking drips, smears and curtains.
Once the new snow adheres to the ice, micros would probably be able to manage this trail but for now I'd carry crampons.

Special equipment: Poles very helpful, micros for most of the trip were essential, crampons on Osceola trail essential for steep sections.