Happy Birthday, Long Trail!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy

Reaction score
The Green Mountain Club has reminded me that this year we celebrate the 100th anniversary of the founding of Vermont's Long Trail.

Three cheers for the GMC and its founders, who a century ago imagined and created the LT, and all those GMC volunteers and employees who over the years have built, maintained and protected the Long Trail as an important institution in the hiking world.

G.

Having hiked the entire length twice it has a special meaning to me. I'm so thankful to the GMC and its efforts to protect it. I recall Backpacker magazine named the trail 'endangered' over 10 years ago!

Dittos to Rolling Stone's post.
I'm thinking of going back for a third hike this summer, partially for my own celebration. It is a wonderful trail in its own right, but I was planning my first LT end to end hike when I experienced an injury that that threatened to end my backpacking (and my life) so my completion after recovery was a really ecstatic experience.

One of the commemorative events will be a relay end to end hike of the Long Trail. Lots of info on the trail and some on the anniversary at www.longtrailhiking.info