Hard Shell Suggestions??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymama

Reaction score
I think the next gear item I need to upgrade is my hard shell jacket.

There are so many choices, I don't know where to start.

Features that are important to me are: waterproof/breathable, nice pockets (perhaps one on the sleeve), reasonably priced, hood that is adjustable, not too heavy, well constructed and will last.

Suggestions?

campmor.com/web bargins/parkas :D,mgear.com/sales(I have a TNF mountain light,2 layer gortex,core vents,map pocket on sleeve,use it like 3 coats with denali fleese. :) (also have nuptse down which will also zip in but mostly just sleep in it or belay(to waem to move in and dosen't vent)) :rolleyes: I sound like a comersial so to kill that I must say that my favorite shell is a n EMS softshell (apollo) :eek:

Last edited:
Mountain Hardwear Exposure II. It does all the things your looking for.Had ours for 2 years and they have been great.EXPOSURE II
REI stocks this shell and they have a sale coming at the end of the month. Maybe you can catch a deal.

You can check out my Marmot goretex shell at the gathering. I have had for several years, use it for hiking and biking in cold weather. I got a great deal on it on the campmor clearance site. Thats always a good place to check.

Anything made with Gore Tex.

Other stuff may be more breathable, but when you depend on it to be absolutely positively waterproof and windproof, you can rely on it.

There are so many makers and lables out there now that your best bet is to find the features you want at a price you can handle. Hard to go wrong.

David