Haystack, Basin, and Saddleback

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTSpoons

Reaction score
Spence, Brian, Mimi, Nancy, Jeff, Andy, Ron, and Steve could not have picked a better day to climb Haystack. We used crampons as both Little Haystack and Haystack are covered with ice and snow. There is bare rock on the back of Little Haystack.

Test report

The trail to Haystack was broken to Slant Rock. We made great time to the junction with the Range trail. It is hard to describe the views we had from both Little Haystack and Haystack, just spectacular. Marcy, Skylight, and the Great Range were within hands reach the sky was so clear.

We were back at the junction by noon. Spence, Brain, Steve, Mimi, Nancy, and Ron decided to do Basin and Saddleback. The Range trail was not broken and we knew Shorey Short Cut was unbroken also. Going to Basin meant we must continue onto Saddleback. The conditions were right, so off we set. The descent was quick but the .7 miles to the top of Basin was real work. We reached the top by 2 pm. Once there we immediately moved on. The backside of Basin at the sharp turn was very icy, so some of us took to the trees.

When they say this is some of the most rugged parts of the Dack's they aren't lying. The climb down from Basin was very steep but the deep snow helped. In the col between the two, the weather began to change. The wind picked up and a light snow began to fall.

To be continue because of the problems I have been having posting.

Winter can be a magical time to hike. This trip definitely had all the elements of a magic show. The trail was deep with untouched snow, the trees hung low from its weight, and the tracks of the snowshoe rabbit were everywhere. At one point we observed the tracks of a lone bobcat in the snow.

We hoped to be on top of Saddleback by 3 pm and we almost made it. After the steep descent to the col before Saddleback, we had to make the equally vertical climb to the base of the cliff. Once there we switched to crampons even though the rock had little ice.

As mentioned the weather was changing. By the time we began our climb up the cliff the wind was at gale force and the snow pellets felt like grains of sand when they hit you. We made it up the cliff carefully, reaching the top around 3:30 pm. The change to snowshoes did not take long. The wind was ripping on top, in the exposed portion above the cliff. Once in the trees things were not as bad.

The trip down Saddleback and the Orebed was quick and easy given the well packed trail. By the time we reached the last sections of Orebed our headlights were shining.

Returned to Peggy O'Brien to be greet by a great group of friends, hot soup, and the warmth of a heated shelter.

A special day in the mountains.....

Thank You....

Hi RTSpoon.

Last Saturday, Junior & Me had the diificult choice between join your group or Allen group. :eek:

We take the decision to Allen and We hiked in your great snowshoes tracks last Sunday. Thank You very much each member of your group for your work We appreciace to help us in this winter goal.

I hope to see You other time in the trail, :) path , ;) bushike :D .

Pinpin Junior.

Had a great time hiking/talking with you Ron! If you're every back to Bethlehem, or my area, look me up!