Headlamps?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
As the earth's axis becomes increasingly tilted away from the sun my headlamp's importance to me increases. Help me shed some light :rolleyes: on solving the puzzle of combining performance, relability, and light weight. What do you use, how do you use it, in what conditions and how satisfied are you?

I'll second Kevin's recommendation - I just switched from a Petzl halogen to a BD LED headlamp and it's far superior in every way. I picked up a BD (Moonlight?) 4-LED headlamp from mgear.com for about $17. Has 3 brightness settings + a strobe setting and will go 70 hours on 3 AAA's at the highest setting (compare to 7 or 8 hours for the halogen). It's extremely bright, and avoids the "cone of light" effect and dark spots of the old one. To top it off, it's lighter, and the battery pack goes under your hat to stay warm. Love it!

Kevin Rooney said:
(not fixed like the Petzel Tikka)

The tikka's a nice compromise. I use one, and it was the price I wanted (around $30), 3 leds, and takes AAA batteries. Doesn't weigh a heck of a lot either, and has seen some serious weather and worked fine. Even worked in the dead of winter's cold. The angle the tikka's at by design is perfect for me, never felt I needed an adjustable head (but could see how it may be handy if I was caving or such).

I don't like the led lamps that have that proprietary 6v battery design. I like the idea of being able to use NiMH rechargeables and don't like continuously dumping money (think $7 for 6v a replacement??) on batteries.

There's a lot more models/variety now than there were just a year ago. MOST of the ones (non-6v single battery type) I've seen at EMS appeared more than adequate for the job (of seeing about 10+ feet in front of me at half-batteries).

I am looking at replacing my old petzl arctic this year, and so far I am leaning toward the Princeton Tec Yukon HL. I want a lamp that is bright enough to route find by night and also takes AA batteries as I like to use my NiMH rechargeables whenever possible. Plusses are it has the brightest 1 watt LED I have seen along with 3 lower setting LED's, use AA's, has a run time of 40 hours on high and 120 hours on low. Minusses are it's weight (8 oz) and the batteries are exposed to the cold (although NiMH batteries seem to perform pretty well in the cold). This is definately not an ultra light headlamp, but for me the plusses outweigh the minusses. It's interesting to learn why people choose certain lamps over others.

I plan on using a headlamp even when I don't plan on using a headlamp. See my post under "Does anyone sit still" for further explanation.

My Petzl has three LEDs as well as a pretty strong conventional bulb and takes 4 AA batteries. I carry spare batteries and a small flashlight. I make a point that any and all battery operating gear I carry uses AA batteries for the obvious benefit of only having to carry one type of spare and having the ability to cannibalize from other gear if necessary.

I have an old Petzl that uses a 4.5 V flat battery, will take either a reg bulb or halogen and is focusable. I was tired of spending $$ on batteries and wanted to lighten up so I bought a Tikka plus (4 LEDs, 3 AAA's). It didn't give off enough light for me when I used it on the trail in the pitch dark. I'm surprised to see how many other people are quite satisfied with their LEDs. I'm still confused and am leaning towards getting a unit that lets you switch from Halogen to Led and sucking up the extra weight. I don't care about the purchase cost.

I have a basic Petzl Tikka which I use for pretty most everything, from camping to night hiking to emergency use. I also have a Petzl MYO 3 (xenon/LED) combo with a belt pack I would use for winter or late fall use or for racing. The MYO 3 is nice as it has the best of both worlds, an LED for general use and that Xenon bulb for when you need that sharp focused beam. Can't be used together though.

Jay

Yukon HL

I just recently bought the Princeton Tec Yukon HL for all the reasons that bobmak listed. I use NiMH batteries (in all my equipment) and the performance can only be listed as stellar (pun intended). Very impressive headlamp. I used to use a Petzl Duo for all my camping outdoor needs. A good little light in its own right but this lamp is much better so far. Batteries last longer and the white LEDs throw a better color light as far as I am concerned.

Just my $0.02,
Keith

Scout

I recently bought, used, then promptly lost, a Princeton Tec Scout. I have used others, including the Solo Halogen, and the Aurora. All worked well, but the LEDs do have the weight/battery life advantage, if they lose the focused beam edge.

I liked the Scout, and will buy another. It is only a 2 LED lamp, so for long nite hikes in woods, it isn't the best bet, but for easy hikes, and around camp it is terrific. The best part is that it can come off the headband, and clip easily on your baseball cap brim. If you like, you can possibly find one on the NP Trail, somewhere between Duck Hole and Placid...(it didn't come off my cap, it fell out of a velcroed pocket.

The Aurora was brighter with 3 LEDs, not much heavier, but during Reach the Beach last year, the swivel pin broke and i was resigned to holding the light in my hand. I am not sure i would buy another. Wouldn't trust it in a pinch.

Additionally, my GF bought me the single LED lamp that fits on your ear. Besides the bugs being drawn to it and buzzing in your ear all the time, it may be the best reading/lean-to/tent light i have used.

Kevin Rooney said:
Almost anything with LED's - preferrably 4 rather than 3, and an adjustable head (not fixed like the Petzel Tikka

Does Petzl still make the OG Tikka? I figured once they started putting out the Tikka Plus, it would be retired.

I used the Tikka for a couple of years, as well as it's little sister Zipka, and would've had a few complaints, but they fixed them all with the Tikka Plus-- An adjustable head (maybe 6 different angles), and four different brightness levels, including the all important "Camp Disco" setting. :cool: It's also light, comfortable, and easy to turn on with gloved hands.

Best for three season use though, because there's no way to keep the batteries warm on your forehead.

Neil said:
I was tired of spending $$ on batteries and wanted to lighten up so I bought a Tikka plus (4 LEDs, 3 AAA's). It didn't give off enough light for me when I used it on the trail in the pitch dark.

Wow, 3 leds for me at full batteries is enough to see 30-60 feet at night...

Maybe you have no choice but to bring one of them industrial sized flash lights with you, the kind that takes 4 "D" batteries :D

The LED and normal bulb in one headlamp does have a problem (I've used the myo, I assume this is problematic in all designs): THe batteries will power the normal bulb for a useful time period of say, t . Those same batteries will power the LED portion of the bulb for a period of t x 10. So even if there's plenty of life left in those batteries for the LED if you'll switching back and forth you loose the main advantage of LEDs. With LED only headlamps being so light it makes a degree of sense to have both.

I don't find LEDs to be that great for serious night time travel, i.e. night time bushwacking though on most trails they work OK.

I too prefer to standardize on AA cells, but the three AAAs in my LED lamp just got changed this past weekend for the first time in a year or more. I can accept that.

I may get laughed at but I picked up a cheap($12.99) headlamp w/2 white leds and 1 red at Walmart :rolleyes: for my father to use on a recent trip, only to find that he had already bought a $30 one(don't know what brand) from EMS.
I used the cheap Energizer lamp and it was brighter and lighter than my father's. It uses 3 AAA batteries and shows no fading after over 50 hours of use(I fell asleep while reading in my hammock at night!) It's also brighter than my old Petzl that uses a regular bulb & 3AA Batteries. I threw away the package and there isn't a model # on the headlamp. It even has an adjustable head.

I hate Walmart, but sometimes......

Last edited:
Quietman said:
I may get laughed at but I picked up a cheap($12.99) headlamp w/2 white leds and 1 red at Walmart :rolleyes:

Hey, thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking for a replacement/backup headlamp, I was at Walmart tonight and I picked one of these Energizer "High Beam LED" lamps and it works great. A friend of a friend had one of these recently that I used for some casual night hiking, and it works just great for $13! It even swivels...

Wow! 2 pages of responses on something like a headlamp. I too cannot see spending the kind of money that BD and the others are demanding for a little light. About a year and a half ago I bought a 3 LED headlamp at Walmart and since that time it has done numerous 2 nighters, a 13 nighter, and was used for over 6 hours of night hiking. The original set of batteries just went dead last week. It takes 3 AAA's and swivels, with 3 power settings. Nifty gizmo, and at about $8.00, I don't think you can beat it.
I'm sorry, but unless you live in the dark, or are a caver, I have a hard time justifying what these companies charge. I try to save my money for the gear that gets heavy use, like packs, poles, boots, etc.
Happy Hiking,
Tom

Re; The MYO or other LED/bulb combos. I use them for the occasional adv. race or perhaps times when I feel I need more of a focused bulb. The LED light is nice in that it has a fairly wide focus range but IMO, doesn't seem as strong as a Xenon or Halogen bulb in the focus point. it has a better wide pattern. I think the combo bulbs are good for racing, one doesn't want to be changing headlamps constantly and having to stop and rummage through a camelback. But, yes, typically when I'm just hiking, I just bring along my little Tikka. The Xenons when racing are good when you really need to spot something, say an orienteering checkpoint or some landscape feature, say a checkpoint in orienteering.

P.S. Warren, How was the Whites, folliage must of been spectacular, no?

Jay

I've had a Tikka since they came out, and I carry it everywhere. They weigh so little, you could carry 3 or 4 of them and not notice it. I always have it in my pack, even for a 1 hour morning jaunt. The Tikka is just enough for trails. I also use it around the house a lot.

I also have a Petzl Arctic, which I use for night bushwacking. I need the brighter, longer halogen beam for off trail. Also, we use headlamp signals for navigation, and that works better with the halogen.

I also picked up one of the Walmart units to use as a tent light on a recent week long trip. Worked fine.

Regarding swivels: I like them, but I have seen them fail, so the light bounces up and down unconrtrollably as you walk (until it's fixed with duct tape).

Has anyone else noticed that you get a lot more attention from moths with the LED than with the halogen? My theory is that even though the total light output is less with the LED, the color temperature is higher ("whiter" light), and the moths respond to that.

TCD

TCD said:
Has anyone else noticed that you get a lot more attention from moths with the LED than with the halogen? My theory is that even though the total light output is less with the LED, the color temperature is higher ("whiter" light), and the moths respond to that.

I noticed that, figured it was an opportunity to try new forms of trail food :p