Hedgehog 7/23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LenDawg

Reaction score
I finally broke away from the electronic leash of work long enough to do SOME type of hike, and it was amazing. I can't put it to words, but getting back on the trail after really being away for about two months or more just seemed like a reunion with old friends. And the first of the old friends I met were the mesquitoes. I thought I had some type of spray to fight them off last time, but alas, that wasn't in my pack. In fact, my pack seemed to be too light. Thank goodness this was a "quick" hike.

Chinooktrail was my hero at getting me back in the woods. We headed up the UNH loop trail from the Kanc on Sunday around mid-day just after the rain stopped. It was very humid and, very buggy. Christine was a little sluggish at the get-go, but got her second wind at about a half hour into the hike. We stopped at each lookout and did our best "name the peaks".

In so many ways, I felt like a rookie again. First, I started pointing at random mountains and asking if that was Washington (haha - rookie). Second, following blazes seemed like a new experience. Even Chinooktrail seemed rusty insisting that the UNH Trail started at Oliverian Brook.

Yet the other feeling was one of exhiliaration. It felt so great to get back out onto a trail, even if it was just a short hike up Hedgehog. We had lunch up on the peak and finished the loop, doing it in a clockwise direction. It was great to be "back". :D

It was a great hike, I think I was sluggish from the loss of blood to the flying varmits!! :mad:

Once we got going and gained a smidge of elevation they seemed to clear out.

A great warm up hike for things to come! :rolleyes: