Hedgehog Mountain (2530 feet)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill bowden

Reaction score
We snowshoed up Hedgehog Sunday, avoided the crossing of downes Brook by taking a gated logging road. There was still lots of snow until we got to the ledges and the trail was heavily post holed. We didn't have much fun with the post holes but then the post holers probably didn't have much fun making them either.
I'd never done this peak before and was completely blown away by the views, possibly the most extensive I've ever seen from such a low summit. In particular the Captain showed itself very well. Heartily recommend this hike for anyone looking for good views cheap.

the wuss hiker formerly known as bushwhack bill

I think you mean Potash. There is no crossing of Downes on the Mt Hedgehog trail.

bill bowden said:
the Captain
Wow -- this really perked up my interest... not many good views of The Captain out there and I never thought of this one before. Do you have any pictures? Must've been a great peak into the East Side of Hancock as well.

-Dr. Wu

that does sound like potash...

hedgehog has some partial views at its summit, but I remember the best ones were looking south from the cliffs, towards Passaconaway.

both are great places if you're hiking & looking for something less ambitious than one of the 4K's.

The description does sound like Potash, but last Feb. I headed up Hedgehog, and man! What a pleasure. Amazing views into the Sandwich Range from the southern ledges, perfect for lunch, and I got two nice views of Carrigain and The Captain from Hedgehog. If I remember correctly, its just before the summit, on the western side. A little herd path that leads to a great outlook, you can see from the Hancocks to Carrigain and you can just see the Presis if you strain enough. Great little day hike. Lots of fun.

Last trip report for a while

You guys are right, I was on Potash. Serious brain cramp. Apologies to all the views were great.

Bill

bill bowden said:
You guys are right, I was on Potash. Serious brain cramp. Apologies to all the views were great.

Bill
Oh Jeez! I wish you told me this yesterday! I spent all day hiking around Hedgehog, desperately searching for those views of The Captain; cursing, screaming & throwing up because I couldn't see it for nuthin'!!

:D :D :p :p

Nah, I think I'll hike both of them. Sounds cool! Don't worry about the Brain Cramp either -- One time I thought I was on Mt. Marcy but I was really lying on the floor of my work office, passed out and dreaming.

-Dr. Wu