Help with retraining a dog to hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGF1

Reaction score
Avatar. The Maroon Bells . I live In NH and Near
Hi long time lurker delurking. I used to post trail conditions before the format was changed.
I need help retraining my parents Irish Setter . He was doing very well and had completed a SPCA course on behaving obedience he did very well.
He has been hiking on a leash mostly he dragged me up Osecola and Jackson
He was doing well on our land until recently now he has stated taking off and I found him walking down around about a mile from my folks place I have used treats and toys to get him to return . I ski and walk on the land and we have , there are several trails we have made . I live in south eastern NH, where there are lots of people and cars. I am afraid he will take off and something will happen to him.
Any good help will be appreciated
I would like to take him on some more easy hike or long but not difficult such as Owls head. . He is not going to backpack or do any difficult hikes. Or travel.

Last edited:
See thread
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4787

It's more for puppies but should have some information for you.

Pulling: shouldn't be tolerated, it can create a dangerous situation for both you and the dog especially when hiking over rocks or roots. If the dog is pulling, you stop walking until the dog stops pulling. Initially this can make a 1 mile walk take hours. The above thread also references some devices that can help manage pulling.

Straying: whether in a yard or on a hike, again for me, not to be tolerated. If my dog won't stay within what I consider a reasonable range (20 foot radius around me), or cannot be called off of any stimulus (no matter how tempting), the dog stays on a leash for hiking.

Please do everyone a favor

Including your dog, the wildlife, and other hikers and leave him at home. There really is nothing to be scared of out there. The woods are safer than most cities.

I know you probably resent this post but its true.