Hi Everyone,

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrcinnh

Reaction score
For some reason I thought I was a member here when I first started serious hiking in 2014. Started with Monadnock, in winter 2015 started the Whites. Did a lot with Random hikers, and Four seasons. Now working on redlining.
Choose JRCinNH as an email quite a while ago and it stuck. JRC is my initials.

For some reason I thought I was a member here when I first started serious hiking in 2014. Started with Monadnock, in winter 2015 started the Whites. Did a lot with Random hikers, and Four seasons. Now working on redlining.
Choose JRCinNH as an email quite a while ago and it stuck. JRC is my initial
Welcome, good to see old friends come back.

Note, the term "redlining" is regarded as politically incorrect by mostly non hikers. The officially sanctioned AMC new term is "tracing" although the redlining term is still used by most who are actually working on the list.

Last edited:
Welcome, good to see old friends come back.

Note, the term "redlining" is not regarded as politically incorrect by mostly non hikers. The officially sanctioned AMC new term is "tracing" although the redlining term is still used by most who are actually working on the list.
You sure you worded that correctly?

I probably don't need to rehash that whole debate since the original thread discussing this topic is likely available in the VFTT archives, but some of us found it silly that a non-pejorative word like "redlining" could be perceived as injurious or derogatory. It's a word that accurately described an exclusionary practice in real estate and mortgage lending. The practice was injurious and racially motivated, and its intention was to prevent Black people from purchasing homes in certain neighborhoods. In other words, the practice was a tool of institutional segregationists. The word "redlining" itself is neutral and blameless and besides that, in the hiking vernacular it is/was being used in an entirely different context.

I followed the whole discussion of the flare-up over the redlining term, I thought it died down. I'm a member of Rachel's FB group, so I kind of forgot.

I'm an incurable "redliner", having a handful of maps, hiking mostly but a couple road maps, too, and I will continue to use red lines. I am also a "black baller", coloring little black balls on NE 4000 footers but that ended years ago when there were no more to color. Perhaps there is some redemption in that I went green on the hundred highest. I suppose there are those who do their maps on-line and can change colors in an instant. Not me. I am not so fickle with my crayons.

Disregarding any negative meaning of that expression, I kind of thought it was a redundancy. All the lines on the maps I have were already red.

Anyway, nice to have you back.