High Peaks Area, low elevation hike recommendation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
I’m heading up to Lake Placid next weekend with some friends and would like to do a hike or two of 4-7 miles (Friday afternoon on the way up Rt. 73 & Sat.). Unfortunately, a few in our party have bad backs and can’t handle steep inclines (the descent is worse than the uphill). One thought for a nice scenic view is the trail into Avalanche Lake from the Loj. A few in our party have done this before & I was looking for alternatives.

None of us have ever been into either the Ausable Lake valley, or Johns Brook Lodge area. At around 3.5 miles into each, this is a good distance for us and I was wondering which of these would have better scenery. I imagine the Ausable Road would be extremely easy walking (vs. the trail to JBL) and much more developed. Is that still an attractive walk in spite of the road (& homes)? Are there good views near JBL?

Other recommendations for hikes without steep sections appreciated. A good view would be great but we have to avoid steep (They have driven up Whiteface 2 years ago while I paddled the Chubb river). Have been into Connery Pond, but never Copperas.

The hike along the Ausable Club road itself is not too interesting except the flume on the road. Options along this road would be to hike into rainbow falls at the base of the weld trail to Gothics. You can also hike the east or west trails long the brook. There is not alot of elevation change here and you can also go into Beaver Meadow falls which is a nice spot. Another nice hike is along the south fork of the Boquet. ( the starting point for the hike to e dix from 73) There are some nice waterfalls and swimming holes along the Brook.

The West River Trail that parallels the AMR road is beautiful. Cathedral Rocks, Bear Run and other small side trails are very interesting. The Gill Brook trail that comes off the Lake Road is a series of waterfalls and flumes. You could take the West River Trail in and explore the small side trails, take a break at the Lower Lake. If your guests are up to it, there is a short but steepish trail up to Indian Head with spectacular views of both lakes and Gothics. An alternative to the steep trail up is to backtrack down the Lake Road and take the more gradual trail up to Indian Head and Fish Hawk Cliffs, and descend the Gill Brook Trail.

Last edited: