High Points NJ, PA, MD, WV

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
On our trip south this year we decided to pick up a few more state high points. The first we would get is New Jersey. Over the years I must have passed through Port Jervis NY on I84 a myriad of times and I had often seen the monument high on the mountain. I always assumed that it was a tristate NY, NJ, PA marker. But no, it turned out to be the monument for the NJ high point.

002-6.jpg

Lauky and I posed for the traditional picture in front of the monument.

004-12.jpg

The next day we headed off to Mt. Davis in PA The best photo op turned out to be this sign right on the road. I think technically the high point lies in behind this sign. There is a dirt road leading to a parking lot. There is a 50’ tower which Lauky and I climbed. Great views.

018-8.jpg

The next stop that day would be the Maryland high point. For the moment the only way to get to that high point is to hike a trail that starts in and mostly is located in West Virginia. About a mile from the trail head you can visit the smallest church in the lower 48

031-3.jpg

Right behind that church you will find the smallest mailing office in the US.

034-5.jpg

Just a mile up the road from the church is the trailhead for Hoye-Crest the MD highpoint. It is easy to miss. I drove by it twice before I picked it up. You are looking for this sign. As I mentioned almost the entire trail is in West Virginia.

048-1.jpg

My wife and daughter both decided to be adventurous and hiked up it with me. It’s a fairly easy hike to the highpoint sign and cairn. It is interesting to note that the state of MD is in the process of building a road up its side of the mountain so in a year or two I think you will be able to drive up.

042-1.jpg

Just a short distance from the high point is a marker for the MD\WV border. Lauky had the privilege of lifting his leg on two states at one time.

039-2.jpg

Our last stop for the day was the West Virginia High Point. There is a nice observation tower here also but the best photo op was at the sign in the parking lot.

061.jpg

If all goes well we hope to pick up a few more high points later this week.

Ed, the parking lot alone is worth the trip to Clingmans Dome. Fantastic views from that parking lot, the best I've seen from any parking lot ever. I'd say the views are just as good there as they are a half-mile up from the spaceship-alien-summit tower-thing.

Enjoy yourself -- and make sure you stop by Gatlinburg and play a round of Glow-in-the-Dark Circus Mini-Golf! :D

Thanks for the tip Trish. We'll see what we can do. I'll bet Lauky will beat us all if we let him play.

By the way, we were talking about you this afternoon. We were over at Neel's gap where the AT trail goes right through the building. My daughter Chantal said: Do you think sometime Alex will be coming through here on the trail?" I could only say, "It wouldn't surprise me."

You've GOT to do the Glow-in-the-Dark Circus Mini-Golf. It's so over the top and cheesy that it's brilliant. I think it's next door to a wax museum and just down the street from a henna tattoo place. Love Gatlinburg. Let's just say that after two weeks of camping out in the heat last year and barely bathing, we thought the whole town was WONDERFUL. :D

As for the AT -- the girls and I have talked about it a lot. Alex wants to and would do it in the next couple of years if she could, but she can't do it as a child unless Sage comes too (I wouldn't want to be away from Sage). If Sage ever says she wants to do it, then the three of us will, otherwise, Alex will have to wait until she's an adult. That's okay, she has the rest of her life ahead of her. :)

High Points cont. TN

We had a great trip over to Clingman’s Dome in TN. Unlike the last four highpoints
which we had almost to ourselves Clingman’s Dome reminded me of the Tuckerman trail
on a Saturday. The weather was totally fogged in but the parking lot was packed out. I’ve
been up Mt. Mitchell many times and have never seen half that many people up there. I
had thought right up to about 5500’ that we would be able to slip in under the cloud cover, but no.
Above 5500’ we drove into the clouds. From the tower you could see the ground below and that was
about it. Don’t get me going on the Smoky Mountain Canophobia. The Smoky Mountains might be
beautiful, but I won’t be doing any hiking there. There are enough places to hike in the Blue Ridge without dealing with that canine prejudice.

010-8.jpg

As you can see, at the state line around 5000’ the views weren’t bad

021-5.jpg

Lauky had a great time here. Little kids kept coming up and asking to pet him and
he immediately rolled over on his back, to get his belly scratched much to the delight
of the kids.

018-9.jpg

Trish, I totally believe you about the mini golf, and we went down to Gatlinburg. I couldn’t believe
the crowd. It was bumper to bumper both ways through town and the sidewalks were three deep in people.
Gatlinburg is obviously not just a pass through point, it is a destination point for many. However, it was
much to hot to leave Lauky in the car and we had to get back home so we didn’t spend much time there.
We did have, however, in the morning on the way in a nice visit in Cherokee.

Next stop is Alabama, then South Carolina. Last year we drove up Brasstown Bald the GA highpoint. This year I plan to hike it.

By the way Trish, by the time Sage is ready to do the AT we may be living down here in the North GA Blue Ridge so we could probably help with the logistics.

Trish, I totally believe you about the mini golf, and we went down to Gatlinburg. I couldn’t believe
the crowd. It was bumper to bumper both ways through town and the sidewalks were three deep in people.
Gatlinburg is obviously not just a pass through point, it is a destination point for many. However, it was
much to hot to leave Lauky in the car and we had to get back home so we didn’t spend much time there.
We did have, however, in the morning on the way in a nice visit in Cherokee.

Next stop is Alabama, then South Carolina. Last year we drove up Brasstown Bald the GA highpoint. This year I plan to hike it.

By the way Trish, by the time Sage is ready to do the AT we may be living down here in the North GA Blue Ridge so we could probably help with the logistics.

Ed, Gatlinburg feels like TN's Las Vegas, no? Cheesy cheesy cheesy, so cheesy it's absolutely ridiculous (and kind of fun). However, as ludicrous (and brilliant) as Circus Glow-in-the-Dark Mini Golf is, I agree, it's not worth the price of leaving Lauky in a hot car.

Sorry you didn't get any views, but such is the way of highpointing/hiking.

On to Cheaha? That's a lovely highpoint. They've a nice state park with camping and hotel/motel options. Nice view from the restaurant, if I recall. Not sure what their dog policy is, though.

Sassafras, on the other hand, is less than spectacular. At least it's an easy one.

Your trip brings back fond memories of our spree last year. Hope you're enjoying yourself as much as we did. :)

As for the AT...we'll see...I think Sage would prefer to walk across the United States (she's mentioned this many times, and she even has a charity picked out.). She likes to hike, but she REALLY likes a huge meal at the end of the day. Hard to arrange that on the AT, lol. We'll see what the years bring.

Looking forward to the next report,

Trish

Last edited:
ahh.. memories of the high point monument in NJ... The tri state marker for NY/NJ/PA is pretty much on the delaware river, kind of where the neversink joins with the river but the marker itself is on the shoreline..

Jay

Alabama State high point

We had a good trip over to Cheaha state park in Alabama where the Alabama high point is located. It’s not spectacular, but it is very nice. The biggest surprise was the time change. I had forgotten the time changed at the Georgia border. I thought something was wrong with my car GPS as it was showing our arrival would be 11:30 AM and by my watch it was after 12:00. A quick look at my cell phone time clued me in to the time change. It looked like a great place to camp.

011-5.jpg

We ate a picnic lunch at some tables by the parking area. There was nowhere near the number of people there that we saw at Clingmans Dome but there was a gentle flow of traffic. Usually one or two cars there at a time. That was more than we saw in NJ, PA, MD, and WV.

003-4.jpg

Although there was a tower at the top the best views were down by the swimming pool and dining room. They were really outstanding right there.

008-8.jpg

Sassafras Mt. South Carolina

When asked “Why do highpointing?” Besides the usual “Because it’s there” or “It’s something to do” answer. There is also the most important benefit of going places you never would have gone otherwise and seeing sights you never would have seen. Our trip over to Sassafras Mt. the South Carolina highpoint took us over the southern tier of South west North Carolina on NC 64 a spectacularly beautiful highway.

The access road which was just over the border in South Carolina was easy to find. The first three miles the road is in excellent condition. When you pass back into NC the road deteriorates rabidly but is still quite passable. You drive up to the parking area which I believe is back in SC and walk the last 500’ up to the top.

Our first stop was at the lookout area at the end of the parking lot.

007-8.jpg

Trees have been cleared to provide an excellent view. This is the only place where there is a good view.

010-10.jpg

Then it was off to the top for the final photos. A couple of other cars came while we were there but it was for the most part very calm.

003-5.jpg

For a report on Brasstown Bald the Georgia high point go here: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?p=349320#post349320

Last edited:
Ranking in as number 49 on the Highpointers list is Ebright Azimuth in Delaware. It’s not a mountain, it’s not really a hill and it’s nothing extremely exciting except for the fact that it is the highest point in the state of Delaware. We found it and got the required picture.

018-11.jpg

To finish off this thread I thought I would insert the low point of our trip. We made our way up from Virginia Beach via the Chesapeake Bay tunnel bridge. Between the island I’m standing on and the one behind us we descended 100’ below sea level.

013-7.jpg