Highpoint: Texas. Guadalupe Peak (8751 ft). September 10, 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Copied from our blog.
Accompanying pictures can be found there.

*Note: A big thank you to TrailwrightBratt and timmus for their helpful advice regarding hiking this particular mountain!*

Guadalupe Peak Trail. 8.4 miles roundtrip, 3000 feet of elevation gain.

Pictured below: El Capitan and Guadalupe Peak.

The girls and I were able to stay at the beautiful Hotel El Capitan before and after climbing Guadalupe Peak. If you're in the area, we highly recommend spending a night or two here. It's a lovely establishment.

We arrived at the trailhead just after sunrise. It was a cool morning; clouds covered the sun during most of our ascent.

Guadalupe Peak is located within the Chihuahuan Desert, so the conditions are normally dry, fairly hot, and..well..desert-like.

The first section of the trail is the steepest. A series of switchbacks leads the hiker up up up; views of the surrounding desert are phenomenal. The lack of tall vegetation also allows one to continually see the parking lot until the trail crests this section and enters a small forest.

There are two very short portions of the Guadalupe Peak Trail that require walking next to a steep drop-off. One of these portions is pictured below:

The trail eventually leads the hiker into the trees.

Here's the other portion of the trail with a steep drop-off....

The only bridge on the trail, which crosses a chasm. We're now less than a mile from the summit.

Ascending the summit cone...

The girls with the top of El Capitan behind them...

Almost there...

On the top of Texas!

Close-up of El Capitan (picture taken by Sage).

Close-up of the roads below (picture taken by Alex).

Views from the top of Texas...

The girls being goofy...

We lounged about for 45 minutes, appreciating the views. We chatted with other hikers and enjoyed a conversation with a volunteer ranger who had passed us on the trail. The weather was perfect, it was perhaps 80 degrees on the summit.

Eventually, we decided to descend.

We saw quite a few of these today...

Back at the trailhead!

The girls checked out the nearby Visitor's Center after the hike.

Comments and observations:

We made it up in 3.5 hours with Sage setting the pace. We passed a large group and, with the exception of the ranger, were the first to arrive on the summit. We weren't trying to rush, as there were no thunderstorms in the forecast. The girls continue to naturally get faster and stronger, and I REALLY need to get in shape or they will leave me in the dust within a year or two.

Water -- this is a dry peak. I took my large pack and filled it with jugs of water. We ended up with far more than we needed and I was able to give some to hikers who arrived on the summit with barely any liquids left for their descent. I highly recommend bringing more water than you think you'll need for this peak. There are no water crossings and this is a desert environment.

Mountain lions -- they are in Guadalupe Peak National Park, but the volunteer ranger said he has never seen one on this particular trail. Still, I hiked with a hunting knife, kept the girls close, and kept looking behind me all the way up and down the trail. I'm not sure that knife would have done any good if a mountain lion had actually showed up, but it made me feel better nonetheless.

Rattlesnakes and tarantulas -- a hiker is likely to see one of these, so be careful where you step and sit. Unfortunately, we didn't see any specimens of either species, much to our simultaneous relief and disappointment.

Next stop: Arizona.

Getting Up in the world !!

Great going. I knew you would not have any problems. Nice 80 degrees. We had frost in the AM and 50s in Oct., and 60s in may the second time.
Humphreys Peak is next. Nice easy switch back trail, however this one will be your first taste of Altitude . Just slow and easy does it and any headache or nausea is a sign to evaluate going any higher.
A neat challenge for the girls will be to see which one spots the Grand Canyon.
We sure enjoyed the report and the pictures reminded us of how much we enjoyed Guadeloupe.
Eagerly awaiting the Humphreys report. :)

Nice !

80 F... We did it under a sunny 102F !!

Wow -- we can't hike in that kind of heat. Anything above 90 completely does us in.

I forgot -- did you see any rattlesnakes?

Great going. I knew you would not have any problems. Nice 80 degrees. We had frost in the AM and 50s in Oct., and 60s in may the second time.
Humphreys Peak is next. Nice easy switch back trail, however this one will be your first taste of Altitude . Just slow and easy does it and any headache or nausea is a sign to evaluate going any higher.
A neat challenge for the girls will be to see which one spots the Grand Canyon.
We sure enjoyed the report and the pictures reminded us of how much we enjoyed Guadeloupe.
Eagerly awaiting the Humphreys report. :)

Thanks! We did Humphreys Peak on Sunday. Hugh was able to come with us (he flew in Thursday and will fly out this week). We had a perfect weather day and the girls did well with the altitude. I'll get a trip report up next week, hopefully. We're traveling all around and internet connection is sporadic. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks, Ed. By the way, dogs are allowed on Humphreys Peak (AZ) -- there were a ton of them last Sunday when we ascended. Just a thought in case you ever find yourself in the southwest with Lauky...:)

Thanks, I'd love to sometime. But since heat and the direct rays of the sun are so hard on a dog I can see from your report that it would have to be a bit later in the season. I'll keep that in mind.

Trish,

Was Humphrey's windy? When we were there a few years ago you needed to walk bent over along the last 100 yds to the summit windbreak. I read afterward that the mountain is one of the windiest in the SW.

Thanks, I'd love to sometime. But since heat and the direct rays of the sun are so hard on a dog I can see from your report that it would have to be a bit later in the season. I'll keep that in mind.

Ed, I'm talking Humphreys Peak in Arizona-- I haven't done that trip report yet. You're thinking of Guadalupe Peak, the subject of this posted trip report. Dogs aren't allowed on that one.

Trish,

Was Humphrey's windy? When we were there a few years ago you needed to walk bent over along the last 100 yds to the summit windbreak. I read afterward that the mountain is one of the windiest in the SW.

No, we had a completely windless day for our ascent. From what I heard, that's extemely rare.

We did, however, narrowly miss a significant "wind event" that wiped out a portion of Humpreys Peak Trail a few days earlier. We had acclimatized by hiking up and down the trail for a few days, staying longer and longer at higher and higher elevations. I think the three of us narrowly missed untimely deaths by about 45 minutes last Wednesday afternoon...but that's a story for the next trip report. :)

In Arkansas we did, going up Magazine Mtn. That was pretty scary !

RATTLESNAKE PIC

Sorry for not using the multi-quote function. :eek:

We saw a HUGE rattlesnake on Magazine Mountain last year! Right in the middle of the road, sunning itself. That bad boy was massive! Very glad we were in our car. We got to watch the rangers nudge him/her/it off the road (the snake was less than appreciative).

That picture looks like the one we saw! Would be funny if it was the same one.

Last edited:
Ed, I'm talking Humphreys Peak in Arizona-- I haven't done that trip report yet. You're thinking of Guadalupe Peak, the subject of this posted trip report. Dogs aren't allowed on that one.

You're right, I realized it after I posted it. I'm actually surprised they're not allowed on Guadalupe Peak, but I suppose I shouldn't be. Even here in Maine they do stuff like that.