Highpointers up the Butt: SUCCESS!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrat Frodo. What an accomplishment! I have only seen the mountain from the park and it looked awesome. I can't imagine looking down form the top

Congrats again, and great posting, Frodo! I look forward to reading your summit day report and seeing your pics, and doing some more hikes together in the Whites this summer. Also, I will be picking your brain, of course, for my planned return to Denali. Enjoy the night darkness!

Congratulations!
When I first saw Denali from the Wonder Lake Campground last fall, it was the first mountain that I didn't instantly want to climb. It's big and mean looking. But, the more I think about it, and read stuff like this, i.e. -20 w/ 20-25 mph winds, the more my mind is changing. Sounds amazing. Maybe someday! Congrats again! Can't wait to see the pics!

Denali

Hi, I'll post more later too. Just for now want to thank all 5 of the other team members. I learned a little from everyone. Peter Anderson did a great job organizing the trip and Thom added a lot. Everyone had different skills that added to the trip. Thom, I look forward to doing Granite. GO, i look forward to doing Katahdin. God bless you.

When Bob, Ben, and I summitted, I think we all added to the success and we summitted as a team.

As Peter pointed out, we needed KSE (Knowledge, Skills, Experience). Then we had to condition ourselves (3-4 months), prepare, and possess quality gear. Then we needed some luck with weather and good health. Finally, if you get by all that, then the last attribute needed is mental fortitude....to get through the hard work of carring gear up the glacier, and patience and good spirits to wait out the storms.

On summit day, I knew i was going to the top, weather permitting. It was blue sky clear until about the last 4 hours before the summit. Even though the snowstorm provided us whiteout conditions, some wind, and cold temperatures, I still never doubted we were going to the top. I was proud of Bob and Ben for pushing through to the top too.

I am happy to say the biggest problem with the whole trip was the major airlines! They just delivered my 2 bags to my house (only 4 phone calls and 36 hours after I arrived back in San Francisco)!!

Thanks Mohamed, and all, for the support.

And thanks again to the entire team for sharing your skills and being a part of my passion to summit North America.

John