Hiking near North-South Lake in Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saus #5237

Reaction score
I will be camping at North-South Lake in the Catskills in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone knew of any good hikes close to the campground. Are any of the firetower hikes near there? Thanks in advance.

Saus #5237*

hikes

Get Trail Map 40 from NY-NJ Trail Conference.

The Escarpment trail is pretty scenic and mostly flat. Choose the segment you want to do. I would suggest hiking North to Sunset Rock and continue to North Point.

Kaaterskill Falls is a short hike (0.5 miles) from hairpin turn on Rte 23A.

For a fire tower hike, you can drive to Hunter Mountain further west on Rte 23A. The shortest route is the Becker Hollow trail off of Rte 214.

There are plenty of nice hikes near the campground. Kaaterskill High Peak is a very nice hike with nice views, and the trailhead is only a few miles from the campground. Another nice hike is on the Escarpment trail to North Mtn and Stoppel Point. These are just north of the campground. There are also lots of small ski trails around North South Lake which are very nice, they are relatively flat through mixed woods. If you do hike those, go to Sunset Rock, which offers spectacular views of Kaaterskill Clove. Another hike that is only a short drive from the campground is the Blackhead Range. All 3 of the peaks are over 3900', and Blackdome and Blackhead have spectacular views, while Thomas Cole is through nice forest with lots of wildlife.
The closest fire towers are on Hunter Mtn and Mount Tremper. Hunter Mtn has magnificent views, much better than Mount Tremper.
If you have any more questions let me know. Have fun.

If you do not yet have Catskill trail maps or a guidebook, you might want to check the online Catskill Guide In each of the 7 areas there are descriptions for most of the Catskill trails. As already stated the Hunter Mt fire tower using the Becker Hollow trail (2.4 miles one way, 2200' elevation gain) is the best of the nearby towers. The Overlook Mt fire tower is also not far if you use the less crowded northern approach (Long Path and Overlook trail) from Platte Clove Preserve - 5.1 miles one way with a 1440' elevation gain. The start of this is shown as an unmarked trail on the section 4 map of the online Catskill Guide, however, it is now marked and the first part has a series of interpretive trail signs. Also any of the sections of the Devil's Path over Indian Head Mt, Twin, Sugarloaf, and Plateau provide good views (section 4 on the online Catskill Guide).

For some great views hike Indianhead and Twin useing the Devils Path from Prediger Rd as well as Jimmy Dolan Notch for the return route. As Mark said get the maps and you will be able to plan out some great routs close to the NS Lake area. Good luck

North Point has one of the best views in the Catskills, and may be the only 360* vista you can find hereabouts without climbing a man-made structure. You can get there via the Escarpment Trail, or take the shorter route on the Rock Shelter Trail.

An oddly satisfying hike I once did in the area was to follow the ruins of the old Otis Elevating Railroad up to the Mountain House site from Boggart Road, a mile north of Palenville. It's hardly wilderness, but a definite historic curiousity, with many artifacts to be studied. One could descend the escarpment first on one of the trails and bridle paths shown on the Trail Conference map, then head up on the consistently steep and arrow straight railroad bed, making for a nice loop,

porky

You can do a nice 10 mile loop on the Escarpment Trail to North Point. From North Point, take the Mary's Glen trail to the Rock Shelter Trail to the terminus of the Escarpment trail. I usually drive to the parking area near the park entrance on Schutt Rd. and start on the Escarpment trail, but you could also start at the beach. or even walk from your campsite to the park entrance and then return to the camp sites via Mary's Glen trail and skip the Rock Shelter trail. There are many excellent views from the Escarpment trail. The best being from the Catskill Mountain House site, Sunset rock (the northern one) and North Point.

If you state the level of difficulty you are looking for you will get more specific recommendations.

Have fun.

sara and i were just on Overlook mtn. yesterday and i have to say, it was one of the BEST fire towers that i've climbed yet...

i loved the view while looking north/northeast. you have the catskills to the west and then the drastic drop into the hudson valley... i have not seen anything like that yet....

this was a great hike that started just out of the town of woodstock and up a huge hill.. actually that is overlook mtn. from where you park it's 2.5 mi to the top.. the climb is along an access road, not too intense but keeps a fairly good gain...

this would also be a very good and challanging mtn to cross crounty ski if you have the hybrids that are out there now...

definitly hit this up if you have a chance....

happy hiking..