Hiking to Maine on the AT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poison ivy

Reaction score
As some of you know, I’ve been hiking my heart out this summer trying to finish all of the AT miles in New Hampshire. On Sunday, Dave & I finally crossed the state line and headed into Maine, my final state for the New England AT! (Ok, I still have a half-mile gap to make up near Jefferson, but other than that I’ve finished all of the AT in New Hampshire. Yahoo!)

On Saturday, we hiked 6.9 miles to Trident Col tent site. The weather was a little on the blustery side, but we enjoyed having the leaves fall around us like snowflakes so it worked out well. We both saw our first bear as well! He was a little guy who jumped out of a tree as we passed by, took a look at us over his shoulder and then bounded away from us into the woods. It was a great way to cap off our adventures in New Hampshire. Lots of up and downs as we climbed over Mt. Hayes & Cascade Mountain and we ended up cutting the day shorter than I had planned because we got a late start and Dave was really tired.

On Sunday, we hiked 10.1 AT miles (or 12.8 miles total) to the Carlo Col Trail, which we followed back to the car. The morning started at 8 a.m. as we passed four different ponds -- all very pretty and headed up the steep hike up Mt Success. We had great views of the Presidentials and the Carter-Moriah Range during the gorgeous day. (Not a cloud in the sky.) We crossed the state line without much celebration because we were just plain exhausted by then. Now, I can say I’m very excited! The final descent into Carlo Col was certainly tricky over a big tumble of boulders. Dave finally threw his pack to the bottom and climbed down. I was only able to get down after seeing the path he took. I definitely like the scrambling up more than the scrambling down! We followed the Carlo Col trail out and arrived at Success Pond Road at 6 p.m.

There are a few pictures here

Next up: Mahoosuc Notch! :)
-- Ivy

Thanks for the report. I take it that the temps were not bad? I look forward to this weekends hike. Will Dave be coming too?

Hi attroll -- the temps were comfortable even though it was a little breezy. If I had to guess I'd say low 50's or upper 40's at night.

Dave won't be coming for the notch -- he needs a few weeks to recuperate. :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed for decent weather!

-Ivy

Great. Then hopefully this weekend will be the same or better. I am going to leave my hammock behind and use my tent this trip. So far the weather is calling for:

Sat = Few showers, Temps = 61/38
Sun = Showers, Temps = 56/37

This does not look to promising. But you never know how the weather will be until you get closer to the end of the week. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Woo-hoo! Congratulations!

I loved Mahoosuc Notch - do you like to crawl and duck?

It looks from your state line pictures that this sign is gone?

Thanks Michael. I can't wait for Mahoosuc Notch. :)

There white sign is still there -- or it looks like a newer version without all the cross outs. It's just moved over a bit -- maybe five feet from the trail. I have a picture of that sign too, but equally fuzzy. That's what I get for messing with the settings on my camera!

- Ivy

We thought the crossouts were pretty funny (how could somebody have gotten north and south backwards) until we realized the sign had probably been on the other side of the trail and had been moved...
:rolleyes:

Good luck with Maine!! I did that fifteen years ago in two--two week trips. The first from the Kennebec River South to NH. The second trip a year later from the Kennebec to Katahdin. The M.A.T.C. was of great help, that is one terriffic outfit. Carl Newhall , gave me directions on a logging road from Bingham to the trail head avoiding the river crossing. That was before a ferry service existed. He even put me in touch with the logging company to get permissions needed for their road. Many other M.A.T.C. people were very helpful with assorted logistical issues. So if there are any questions about the trail the MATC is more than helpful. I thought Maine was the best of the New England AT, especially the 100 mile wilderness through the lake country. Have a great and safe trip. It is well worth the effort. Oh yes not sure if they are still doing it but the MATC did have caretaker service at the Bigelow Col Ranger Cabin. Any member could use the cabin at no charge for merely donating some trail maintainence service. Spent a week there and had the time of our lives.