Hiking with Afib

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, there are lots of ways to manage AFIB. Mine seems to be stress induced, so I rarely (actually maybe never to my knowledge) have had it while hiking. Maybe I never noticed. I definitely notice it when driving, and that is frightening.

I was reluctant to do traditional beta blockers since my resting blood pressure is pretty low to begin with and the main symptom with my type of Afib is dizziness if it lasts long enough. My cardiologist put me on Acebutelol, (a beta adrenoceptor blocking medicine) and it was easy to get used to, and didn't cause me any lightheadedness. He said it is often overlooked, but a very good treatment for this if you don't have high blood pressure. Not for everyone, surely, but might be worth asking.

FWIW, there are lots of ways to manage AFIB. Mine seems to be stress induced, so I rarely (actually maybe never to my knowledge) have had it while hiking. Maybe I never noticed. I definitely notice it when driving, and that is frightening.

I was reluctant to do traditional beta blockers since my resting blood pressure is pretty low to begin with

I have AFIB as well. My resting BP is quite low as well, and I'm not taking any drugs (yet). What I've noticed is that I don't experience episodes when my heart rate is elevated due to exercise (hiking, etc). A hiking buddy/doctor described it as being like a diesel engine that doesn't sound great when idling, but is perfectly fine under load. I'll mention Acebutelol to my family doctor, and see what she thinks.

If it helps someone - Here is my journey..
I was born with a defective Aortic valve which got me through my first 42 years, Since then, I've had 4 Aortic valve replacements starting in 2002. The last one was Jan-April 2021 - It was a long, long ICU stay - But I am alive.

I have had AFIB for the past several years and have a pacemaker due to a missing electrical signal (Left Branch Bundle Block) in my left chamber of my heart. My AFIB originates in my atrium and a pacemaker won't change the sinus rhythm of the Atrium - Cardioverts bring me out of AFIB and Tykosin (Drug) keeps me in check. I also got Covid in December 2021 which knocked me back into AFIB - even on Tykosin. I've had Cardioversion 3 times over the last 3 years.
I've been on thinners since 2005. First Coumadin from 2002-2021 when I had mechanical valves and Xarelto since last year's surgery, which swapped out a mechanical valve for an aortic pig's valve. Xarelto has a similiar profile to Eliqious and neither require the rigorous weekly bloodwork that Coumadin requires. These drugs are also much easier to maintain than Coumadin - Although I was able to do 1/3 of the AT on Coumdain. One still has to be careful of falls and internal bruising that can lead to invisible internal bleeding - A fall with minor head trauma can sometimes be fatal. I have not been out hiking in the last few years - not so much due to my heart - but due to a completely severed quadricept that required removal of almost half my left quadricept. I do more biking nowadays.

As for hiking with AFIB, I have less oxygen update (My ejection fraction/pumping abilities are lower due to all the scarring on in my heart). but no real issues that would limit me if I was careful, and, as long as I am on the rate/rhythm drug to control it. As those with AFIB or Tachycardia know, once you are out of sinus rhythm, simply walking from one room into another in your house takes your breath away and is seen as real exertion. This along with dizzyness also plays havoc with your fitness level, which declines extremely fast due to the lack of activity directly related to the exertion required to do simple tasks. and as an older person, it takes a long long time to regain higher fitness levels.

It's a rather rough way to cap off a very active life spent hiking climbing and backpacking, but I feel pretty lucky to be alive. Feel free to message me wqith any questions.
Rick

I had for 3-4 yrs. No apparent issues. Walk 2-4 miles 4-5 / wk. Finally did the ablation about a yr ago. After 3-4 2 wk holter monitor tests, a-fib appeared < 1% of time. So I was 'graduated' from the active surveilance program.