Hiking with babies and young children ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My kids

I also used a carrier a few times with my kids but for the most part I was worried of tripping and falling with my child. So for the first year I mostly car camped, brought a lot of diapers and baby wipes...second and 3rd year was similar, but at age 4 we started hiking with the knowledge that making it to the desired destination was optional. A few time I got my fix by simply driving up to Mt.Washington and then hiking with the kids to Lakes of the Clouds and then back up. Short hike but above the tree line. Of course, I always checked forecasts.

chimney pond
143462309_6dfb0a3235_m.jpg

tuckerman junction
143461655_f92f9fd380.jpg

Sargent Mountain
143445425_d4df107231.jpg

Lakes of the Clouds
143411627_5377a66b29.jpg

Ergo Kid carrier

We use the Ergo with our daughter. Her first hike was at 5 weeks with an infant insert and as a front carrier. Now we use it as a back carrier. She's almost two. I love it. Small enough for outdoor events or a walk around the neighborhood and perfect for the mountains too.
Our jogger is a Chariot. We think it's the Rolls Royce. With all the different attachments we can use it run, including trail run, bike, and xc ski with her, or just stroll. If you're going to do multi sports it's worth it and we go most of our parts from Craigslist.
Congratulations on being a grandparent!