Hiking with Honey ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I had a Great Aunt Honey but, alas, never did get to hike with her. I'm talking about Bee Vomit. Any simple trick I'm missing ? It's easy enough to carry those little restaurant packages during warmer weather (though then you still have the sticky packaging to deal with). I'm thinking more for winter overnights. I suppose I could just leave some in the bottom of my mug, but then it becomes tea specific. I might try these things. Seem natural and easy to carry, though not cheap. There's also Honey Crystals. Any suggestions ? I'm not yet into dehydrating myself.

I've looked into this but felt it was expensive for a weekend camp/hike. I think I'd be interested in something like this for an extended back pack since light weight nutrition is more important then. Let me know how they work.

You could always put a packet in an inside pocket until it"s warm and then squeez the honey out.

Last edited:
EMS used to sell those honey stingers, bought one once thinking it was GU, havent looked again but they would suit your needs

Gu or Stingers would be okay during the day, on the move, if they're in my pocket. I'm thinking more about winter wake-up, 0 degrees, boil water, drop in (honey product X) and tea bag. Thawing restaurant or Stinger packets is not be worth the trouble, IMHO. Thought I might be missing something simple.

I often hike with a small container of honey to mix with my oatmeal during warmer months, but generally don't once it gets colder. I mix butter with my oatmeal during the winter now- much easier to use, tastes great, and keeps me warm! :)

howdy

What is the issue with just taking normal real honey in a widemouth container?

I often hike with a small container of honey to mix with my oatmeal during warmer months, but generally don't once it gets colder. I mix butter with my oatmeal during the winter now- much easier to use, tastes great, and keeps me warm! :)

Hmmmmm. Butter.

...boil water, drop in (honey product X) and tea bag. Thawing restaurant or Stinger packets is not be worth the trouble, IMHO. Thought I might be missing something simple.

What about just dropping the stinger/restaurant packet in your hot water for a few seconds before opening? That would seem pretty simple to me.

What is the issue with just taking normal real honey in a widemouth container?

When temperatures drop, the honey congeals. It doens't even need to be below freezing for it to practically be a solid.

Even with a wide mouth container and a spoon, you'll have difficulty getting it out at colder temperatures...

What about just dropping the stinger/restaurant packet in your hot water for a few seconds before opening? That would seem pretty simple to me.

That's a good idea for the Stinger, those restaurant packets are still a sticky PITA that I prefer to avoid. I may just leave a dollop of honey in my oatmeal ration and then decide if I want honey in my oatmeal or a little oatmeal in my tea :eek:. Not a big deal, like I said, I thought I might be missing something really obvious.

Use powdered sugar or sugar cubes instead of honey?

You can make your own "honey cubes", just like small ice cubes - just divide the honey into small portions *before* you start the hike. You can freeze-dry the small portions so they're a *little* bit easier to package for hiking - or just store them in the freezer and keep them cold during your hike. Still a lot of packaging to deal with IMHO, sugar does the trick for me and is much less messy.

A-ha. I had no idea. How about filling an ice cube tray with honey and freeze it like making ice cubes? We used to have a rubber one that made much smaller ice cubes, about the size of jolly rancher candy.

something like this:
364138.jpg

Then put the honey cubes into a plastic bag, carry and munch or add to tea or coffee or whatever :)

When temperatures drop, the honey congeals. It doens't even need to be below freezing for it to practically be a solid.

Even with a wide mouth container and a spoon, you'll have s,fficulty getting it out at colder temperatures...

Last edited:
Honey Straws/ Honey Sticks

These might help, honey straws. You can find them at farmer markets or from someone who sells local honey. Beekeeping Supply companies like ]Brushy Mountain Bee Farm, www.brushymountainbeefarm.com ,
will sell them direct.

This is my 4th year beekeeping. I have 4 hives and tons of honey. Last year I started selling it @ 4.50/lb

Holy crap! I'm shocked. :eek: I'm buying local for now on. I have my own hive, first time this summer. It was just for fun, now I have a very good reason to start a few more.