Hking by myself

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redcloud

Reaction score
Hello people,
Still a newbie here. I have been checking in often though.
I am trying to return to hiking, which is something I enjoy, but mostly alone.
I posted when I joined up here about carring protection, such as a knife or mace, which for the most part, most of you don't worry about.
I can't seem to get comfortable in the woods by myself. I keep thinking that something is going to charge out after me. I know that this must sound silly to you veteran hikers, but I can't seem to shake it.
Yesterday evening I went for a two mile hike in a wooded protective area not far from my home that has alot of space and some trails. Whenever I get in a closed in area, I feel jittery, and when I come to a meadow or open field, I feel safer. I jumped a couple of deer in some tall grass, and I thought I was gonna have a heart attack. They took off like a shot, and it amazed me that I was even detected. I find myself being extra quiet, so I can hear my surroundings better.
I wanted to head up to Mt. Greylock soon for an all day hike, but I don't know if I can relax enough to be able to enjoy my day. I have been there before, and last night's walk reminded me as to how I get when I'm out there alone. Maybe, I just need more experience, and more time in the woods.
Any suggestions would be welcome, cause I do want to hike.
Take care, Eric

Work up to it

I, too, love to hike solo. Most of my hiking is done on woods trails and even roads in my area here in Central Mass. I enjoy just going out for a walk for a couple hours. I also enjoy trips to Mt. Wachusett, Mt. Monadnock, and the White Mountains on a regular basis. I don't carry "protection," and have never felt a need for it. Maybe if it makes you comfortable it's worth it, though.

I don't think it would be a good idea to plan a day-long outing until you can work up to it. Continue to make outings in your area, seeking trails/roads where you feel comfortable. Build up to longer trips, as you want to. Areas like Mt. Wachusett, Mt. Tom, and Mt Holyoke have great trails, and you don't need to travel a long ways to have a satisfying outing. I think as you gain solo experience, full day trips in more remote areas will be easier.

Being quiet and taking full notice of your surroundings is a part of the joy of solo hiking for me. I really enjoy hiking at my own pace, resting when I want, and stopping to look at things when I want to.

Hike your own hike, and have fun!

One possible solution is to go hiking on a well used trail. You get a chance to be out in the woods but other hikers will be around.

I hike about 50% of the time by myself (with out a partner) but I seldom have a hike to myself. Usally I encounter at least one other hiker.

redcloud said:
I am trying to return to hiking, which is something I enjoy, but mostly alone.
I can't seem to get comfortable in the woods by myself.
I jumped a couple of deer in some tall grass, and I thought I was gonna have a heart attack. They took off like a shot, and it amazed me that I was even detected. I find myself being extra quiet, so I can hear my surroundings better.
Wasn't that a great experience? You rarely get that feeling when traveling with a group. I bet you'll remember it a long time. Did you ever almost step on a ruffed grouse, only to have your world explode a foot in front of you when suddenly it took off in a flurry of wings and noise? It's a similar feeling. You go back into the woods wanting to experience it again, kind of like a watching a scary movie expecting to be surprised by something that can't really hurt you.
redcloud said:
Maybe, I just need more experience, and more time in the woods.
Any suggestions would be welcome, cause I do want to hike.
Take care, Eric
Some people will never be comfortable in the woods alone, and that's ok. But if you really want to experience another deer surprising you, all you need is time in the woods and willingness to learn about the unknown to overcome your fears. Expand your range little by little. Walking across the street can be scary and dangerous. If we lived life being afraid to live, we wouldn't really be alive. Take proper precautions, whether in the woods alone or driving your car. Carry a whistle and other gear appropriate to where you go, let people know where you are and when you will return. Go on short trips to start, maybe in very small groups of only 2-3 people. "Lead" someone else on a short day trip, teach them what you can as an excellent way to build confidence. Read and talk to others who have more experience. You may benefit from going on a guided trip led by an experienced guide at first.

Last edited:
One thing you can try is to hike with a partner, but stay out-of-sight of each other while hiking. Plan on stopping about every half hour or at trail intersections to check up on each other.

I always prefer to hike by myself because I believe it is the only way (for me) to make my hike become a full experience. My pace, my thoughts, my vision.

But sometimes I do get scared. Yesterday I was on the ridge between Nippletop and Dial, and I heard some branches cracking in the woods... I knocked my poles and whistle loudly (this is what I do to scare bears away). It turned out to be just a guy, off the trail, searching for a good view spot ! I felt stupid, because I don't think bears hang on ridges anyway. But I do love the trill, because I know that, if I am well prepared, there is no real danger out there. The only thing you really have to be careful about is injuries. Make sure you tell someone where you are going.

Also, family and friends are worry for me because they believe that it is dangerous for a woman to be alone in the woods. I don't think so, I never heard of any bad stories about a woman being raped in a lean-to. And if there is some, abstein yourself from telling me.

The more you will go, the more you will enjoy hiking alone. If not, find a partner.

Timmus

This may help as this is what I tell myself. I am not scared of people - but always have BEARS in the back of my mind - its crazy as deep down I know there will never be a problem - but no matter how many times I camp in the bush - its always in the back of my mind.

Its quite comical actually when you think about it. I just tell myself the amount of people that hike in the northeast and the amount of incidents - which are basically nothing - and those that do happen - rarely (if ever???) account for a human injury. I can't speak for all as many on this board have been getting out much longer than I - but I have never in recent times heard of a "problem" in which a human was hurt by person or animal- the exception was the women killed near pinkham - but was largely thought to be foul play and would have happened anyway. you have a much better chance of getting into a problem in boston than the woods. thats for sure

basically the chances are very rare that something will happen - but paranonia is tough to shake.

maybe hike with people for bit. if thats an option.

lots of good advice. I mostly hike alone, including over-nights. Unless you have a weak heart (seriously) there is nothing wrong with getting the cr@p scared out of you once in a while, you'll laugh later. Hiking alone heightens your senses and sharpens your skills as there is no one else to distract you or to count on. Do progressively longer hikes in familiar areas. Walk your neighborhood in the dark without a headlamp. That'll sharpen your senses. If it makes it easier to head out, carry some protection. It's better to feel safe than scared. Finally, some people enjoy hiking alone and some don't. Post your intended hikes here to find a partner or travel to someone elses posted hike if you decide to skip the solo thing.

Davehiker said:
Being quiet and taking full notice of your surroundings is a part of the joy of solo hiking for me. I really enjoy hiking at my own pace, resting when I want, and stopping to look at things when I want to.
There is something very, very special about this, especially off-trail. However, ever since I was charged by a grizzly while hiking very quietly off-trail I am ambivalent about being silent unless I can see far enough ahead to feel confortable. So now, depending on how I feel when I hike or bushwhack alone I either do so very, very quietly or let out whoops every couple of minutes.

This Friday, as I was approaching the Kilburn Slide in the ADK's I was having some quiet time when I stopped briefly then heard a sound. Louder than a squirrel but pretty quiet. I looked over and there was a bear about 15 feet from the trail slowly going parallel to the trail in the opposite direction. His rear end was towards me and I figure we must have passed each other unawares. He must not have seen or smelled me. (I was walking upwind) All of my nerve endings seemed to be tingling after that and I changed from silent to noisy mode.

I know that blacks are far more timid than grizzlies but it would be so easy to suddenly find oneself between a mother and her cubs.

Last edited:
There is excellent advice in here. I disagree a bit with one person who took the time to help you and that is Davehiker. Dave and Red, some fears of the woods can come from the woods around developed areas. In cities and in the suburbs, the woods are often populated and controlled by the homeless, the mentally ill, those ducking warrants, perverts, etc.
In woods close to civilization, I'm more concerned about cornering or being confronted by a dangerous human than an animal. In remote woods, I have no such fear.
You won't find those problems in the Whites, Green Mts., Daks, Baxter, etc.
So my advice would differ from Davehiker in that I would say hike solo on a popular White Mts. trail. Get friends to join you on a walk through Franklin Park or the Blue Hills.

I've done a lot of soloing, mostly because I can't get anyone to go with me due to scheduling (or maybe I smell funny). I've found that even when you think you're being quiet, the animals still know you're there and will avoid you. I've now hiked all the NE 4k's, some more than once, as well as a lot of other out of the way places. I've seen 0 bears (some very fresh scat, though), 2 or 3 moose, dozens of grouse, grey jays, chipmunks, toads, etc. over the past 3 summers. I've seen more of the larger forms of wildlife on the roads on the way to go hike (several moose, bears, deer).

Most of the people you come across are nice, there are a few rude ones out there, but no one that will cause you any trouble. If you wanted to mug someone, there are certainly easier and more profitable places to do it.

The only time I've ever been worried when I was out alone was last November on the East Pond Trail of all places. It was overcast, looked like it might snow, there were 6 inches of snow near the height-of-land and most of the trees still had snow on them. I didn't see another soul the whole hike after the first 10 minutes. For some reason, Jack London's story To Build a Fire got in my head and wouldn't get out.

I'm a woman and I hike by myself sometimes too. My biggest fear is not four-legged animals but two-legged ones. Sometimes, I carry pepper spray in case I have a problem but have never had to use it. In this area, there are virtually no wild animals to be that afraid of - just a few that you need to have an extra does of healthy respect for. Anytime I've run into animals during my hikes, it just makes the hike better.

As far as you being uncomfortable in the woods, I'm not sure why you feel like pushing yourself to do something you're not comfortable with, but if you want to get past it, I would suggest starting with easier, trailed and/or well-labeled peaks. Even though you want to hike alone, it might be good to hike with others in the beginning until you feel more "at home" in the woods, or if you're more comfortable with more open areas, try looking for them. There are hikes that are not as wooded. Like Overlook Mountain outside of Woodstock is a short, easy hike and it has a pretty wide trail throughout most of it so you probably wouldn't feel that confined while hiking it.

Neil said:
I know that blacks are far more timid than grizzlies but it would be so easy to suddenly find oneself between a mother and her cubs.

:eek: Lordy, Neil, we're trying to allay hiking fears here ! ;)
Besides;
"Black bears rarely harm people, although minor defensive attacks can occur when people tease or closely approach bears in parks or campgrounds. Female black bears defend their cubs by putting them up a tree. The sows may huff and blow and make short rushes at people who get near the cubs, but will almost never press home an attack. Deliberate predatory attacks are very rare."

Hi Redcloud,

Except for the times I bring my son in the Keltie carrier I always hike alone. I've never felt afraid and actually enjoy the solitude. When I'm hiking alone I always wear headphones. I like Classical and New Age (Enya) type music, I keep the headphones turned down very low so that I don't disturb any other hikers that might be nearby plus I want to be able to hear any nature sounds in the background. Personally I think hiking alone is the best way to go. Try to relax and enjoy it.

:)

Last edited:
Chip said:
Walk your neighborhood in the dark without a headlamp. That'll sharpen your senses.

This is an excellent idea. I've found that if you can relax while hiking in the dark, the daylight is a breeze.

I hike almost exclusively solo, and it's basically for the same reasons timmus stated - keeping my own pace, alone with my thoughts, and getting some much needed "me" time. Some really good advice has already been volunteered, but I'll add that anytime I start to get a little paranoid about my surroundings, clapping loudly two or three times helps me shake it off.

Hi Redcloud, Lots of great advice already posted. Taking popular trails, Maybe joining a group, you can look at the trips and events here at VFFT and PM the person going on that hike . I am sure many of us would be willing to hike with you . There is a incredible range of experince to be found on the forum from people new to hiking and climbing to a few who have done some serious mountaineering . I suggest hopefully hiking with both as you will learn a lot more that way and become more comforable with hiking and or climbing . Alos just reading the trip reports espially from people new to hiking might be helpful as well as more experinced people .
One thing you might enjoy is ging ot the RMC camps on Mt Adams you can hike alone but will never be alone and you will meet all kinds of people at the facilities at a low cost though you will have to bring your own stove , food and of course sleeping bag. Envetually you might want to hike and camp out alone if you do not that is ok too.
BTW Redcloud is the name of a 14 k peak in the San Juans in CO.

I think there has been some really helpful advice from everyone here, and IMO the only way to get used to soloing is to solo. I feel like the only way to over come your fears is to face them head on. I solo most of the time (not always by choice but due to my schedule) and I have been spooked more than once. I agree with Kevin Rooney when he said to sit for a while and listen to the sounds of the woods. In my experience, most of the fears I might have seem to fade by timberline. I don't know why but there is something comferting about an open summit (except in lightening) but that's a whole different story. :D :eek: :) :eek:

--Darwin

Last edited:
Get a dog suited to your needs and you will never be alone.
They pick up scents sooner than you can see or hear 2 or 4 legged critters and the critters can smell the dog as well and most don't want encounters any way.

Chip said:
:eek: Lordy, Neil, we're trying to allay hiking fears here ! ;)
Besides;
"Black bears rarely harm people, although minor defensive attacks can occur when people tease or closely approach bears in parks or campgrounds. Female black bears defend their cubs by putting them up a tree. The sows may huff and blow and make short rushes at people who get near the cubs, but will almost never press home an attack. Deliberate predatory attacks are very rare."
Right you are. For the record: I have only seen that one bear in the NE.

Chip said:
Hiking alone heightens your senses and sharpens your skills as there is no one else to distract you or to count on.
Very much so. I have lasting deeply entrenched memories of many otherwise nearly forgettable events when I've been alone. Details of every description come to life. When with others those same events would pass into obscurity.

Chip said:
Walk your neighborhood in the dark without a headlamp. That'll sharpen your senses. If it makes it easier to head out, carry some protection. It's better to feel safe than scared. Finally, some people enjoy hiking alone and some don't. Post your intended hikes here to find a partner or travel to someone elses posted hike if you decide to skip the solo thing.
I sometimes lead trips as a guide into the backcountry and do the following. If I am in a safe area at night and with the right group of folks, I'll ask them to walk by moonlight or dim starlight only, along some path you can feel you are on by footstep. Separate them by 20 feet or more, no talking or other unnecessary noise as they very slowly walk in the woods. Listen. Observe. Record internally what you see, hear, and feel. The longer you go the more different levels of intake there are. Did you hear the water bubbling, the various kinds of night insects, the wind in the pines, the stones under your feet, the creak of the boots from the person 3 people away? Stop after 5 minutes or so and let them talk about the experience. Try it alone, one by one, and get the experience from both walker and standby listener. If they have never done this before, at the end of the exercise they will be changed - years later I have had people tell me how memorable that "solo in the wilderness" experience was.