Holy Grizzly Adams! (Wapack End to End)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Early Bird

Reaction score
The day couldn’t have been better: a moderately early start, a desirable forecast, and a planned Wapack End to End. Gig and I left just before 7:00 to meet dRitter at the south end of the Wapack Trail. After a car spot, we set out south at a steady pace.

It seems fitting that we began the hike sharing stories of various animals we’ve seen in our outings- from gila monsters, to martens, rattlesnakes to bobcats- because within the first hour between North Pack and Pack we saw a female moose, the first of many wild animals we would see today. She seemed to have been lying in an open patch, and upon hearing us got up and quickly trotted off. Each of us had been on this trail several times and never even seen a moose dropping along the way. This was the first time Gig had ever seen any moose while he hiked, as opposed to on the side of a road. :D

On the other side of Temple, we encountered our next find, a turkey mama hen and two poults. The chicks were tiniest little turkeys we’d ever seen, but they flew upon our encountering them, so they must have been over two weeks old. dRitter aptly described them as looking like giant bumblebees- stout bodies with stubby wings. (No stripes, of course.) :p

Our first sit down and shoe-off break, was at Stony Top just past Windblown Ski Area. Here we enjoyed views of the Boston skyline on this clear day while we lunched. As was pleasantly and unexpectedly true of the entire hike, the
bugs were down. Neither mosquitoes nor black flies bothered us all day. :)

Cedar waxwings were buzzing around Barrett Mountain. We all shared a look thought the binoculars before some poised on a branch close enough for us to see the details of their slick feathers without the optics. Here I should add it was a great day for birds. I heard scarlet tanager, hermit thrush, winter wrens, indigo buntings, blue headed and red-eyed vireo and mourning doves to name a few. Species reminding me we were in southern New Hampshire, not the Whites today.

Just after seeing the waxwings a large sea-green moth or butterfly flew overhead. A Luna moth? :confused: If so, its long tail was indistinguishable. We’d never seen one in flight, and I know they are nocturnal. Neither of us are bug experts. Still it was cool and inspired the best quote of the day: “Holy, Grizzly Adams!” dRtter exclaimed in reaction to the abundance of wildlife we were seeing.

Crossing Binney Pond we kept our eyes open for wood ducks, beavers, or any other worthwhile species. Nothing. The woods here were quite this afternoon, but, beautiful mountain laurel in bloom lined the pond’s edges. We also noticed the green blueberries were turning reddish and the lady slippers past their prime.

With the trip almost over, walking up the old Binney Road, now an ATV road we saw a deer forging by the side of the trail. More interested in eating than in any danger we might have posed, it moved about 40 feet back and resumed its eating. Along this road a black-throated blue warbler made an appearance, flitting along the low branches along a road wall. The last bird heard, its flutelike song intermingling with traffic as we descended Watatic, was again the hermit thrush. Often the last bird I hear at night while backpacking, this seemed like a nice way to end a very day.

Thank dRitter for joining Gig and me today. :)

This is on my "big list" to do some day. I've redlined all the trails north of 101, but have never ventured south of 101. Some day.

I have seen prints and droppings of moose on North Pack before. I've seen the same on North Uncanoonuc, which is less remote than Pack. Sometimes we go straight up to the old hunting cabin foundation (where the Wapack Trail jogs left over the wall, go straight) and it's more of a herd path now, but there is more wildlife here. I saw 5 ruffled grouse last fall.

Tim

That was a fun day and it was good to meet Gig. Certainly ranks up there as one of the more wildlife-sighting-filled hikes I've done, especially with the pace we moved all day. A bear encounter would've been the 'icing on the cake'.
Don't know if you noticed them, but in addition to the trail turkeys and the ones we saw driving back to the car spot, on the way home there were 2 more hens and about a dozen poults on the shoulder of Rte 101 right before you two pulled of the highway. Must've been some sort of turkey holiday yesterday.
Damon

Hey Early Bird,

Nice report! Where are the pictures??? :confused:

I had other plans and unfortunately couldn't join the hike - my loss. As it turned out my other plans fell apart thanks to Mother Nature. I would have enjoyed meeting the dogsitter. ;) Some day.

Great weather, lots of wildlife, low bugs - what more could you possibly want?

Thanks for sharing.

Earl

bikehikeskifish said:
This is on my "big list" to do some day. Tim
Let me know when you get around to it. Barring any other plans and with it so close to home, I'm always up for it.

BigEarl said:
Nice report! Where are the pictures???

I know, right.The dogsitter took the camera out of his pack and left it on the kitchen counter in case I wanted to take it. :confused: I thought in was in his pack from last weekend's hikes and didn't look for or notice it on the kitchen counter. dRitter took pictures of the deer, I think.

dRitter said:
on the way home there were 2 more hens and about a dozen poults on the shoulder of Rte 101
We did see those, and I forgot to mention the turtle.