Horsepacking and packanimals

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
While hiking the other day I ran across this trail sign at 12K

110714-062.JPG

While hiking in CO and CA I have run across horsepackers, packmules and packgoats while on the trail. I hadn't heard the term "loose herding" before and as you can see there isn't a lot of vegetation in this area to graze on.
Intrigued I did a search got this information.
It's common to let a herd of horses loose at camp without restraint while keeping the herd boss restrained. Loose herding is a great way to minimize impact because grazing and trampling are spread over a large area. With this technique, it is possible to camp in an area and move on with little indication that the area has ever been used. The disadvantage to loose herding, however, is that horses are not easily controlled. Thus there is more chance that your horse might run off in the night.
Link
This sign was located on the boundry of a NF and NP. I suspect "loose herding" isn't allowed in this NP.

Additionally, I found this bit of trail etiquette.
Few hikers know that they should pull off to the downhill side of the trail when encountering stock; you may need to ask them to hold up while you pass. If you are the one being overtaken, remember the hiker is packing a load and has a right to be on the trail too. Find a good spot to let them pass. A little conversation while you pass each other may reduce the chances of your horse being spooked.
Link

Is there any other info relative to meeting stock animals in the backcountry that would be helpful for hikers heading out west?

Is there any other info relative to meeting stock animals in the backcountry that would be helpful for hikers heading out west?

Am not aware of any. Typically, hikers are told that horses always have the right of way.

Am not a big fan of using the same trail for both hikers and horses, for the same reason that snowmobilers and hikers are not a good mix. Horses can trash a trail quickly, both in terms of manure and the amount of damage their hooves do to waterbars and the trails in general.

Have yet to see the horse crowd maintain a trail, either.

One way to avoid horses is to avoid trails trails of less than 5% grade, as that's about the upper limit for horses and packers.

In the total scheme of things, I'm far more apt to see a wild horse than a domesticated one, as most of my hiking is in trail-less areas.

Additionally, I found this bit of trail etiquette.
Few hikers know that they should pull off to the downhill side of the trail when encountering stock; you may need to ask them to hold up while you pass. If you are the one being overtaken, remember the hiker is packing a load and has a right to be on the trail too. Find a good spot to let them pass. A little conversation while you pass each other may reduce the chances of your horse being spooked.

Link

When we were in Grand Canyon, the official pronouncements said that hikers should move to the outside of the trail. (Very dangerous in some spots...) However, the wranglers shooed us to the high side. (Just don't do anything that might spook a horse or mule.)

Doug

I agree with Kevin, in that a trail used regularly by horses will be trashed! Avoid them if you can. When in Yellowstone we did a number of off the tourist route hikes. The only one we would not do again was a trail that the horse groups used. Extremely dusty (we were covered with a film of it), tough to walk on as there stride is much different from ours (like the steps used by mules in the Grand Canyon), the manure issue and lastly these flies that we saw no where else that were always around us. Fortunately, the spot that the trail went to was very cool so not a total waste, just not a great backcountry experience. I believe the trails that horses could use were labeled.

Extremely dusty (we were covered with a film of it), tough to walk on as there stride is much different from ours (like the steps used by mules in the Grand Canyon), the manure issue and lastly these flies that we saw no where else that were always around us.
The two most popular trails in GC (S Kaibab and Bright Angel) are both shared with mules. Fortunately, the area is so dry that flies are not a problem (but it can be a bit dusty...).

Doug