How Many Calories did that Hike Burn Off?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom
Is weight your weight or your weight plus pack weight?
For things like one's basal metabolism and shivering, then only body weight applies. However for activities like hiking and running where you are lifting and carrying the weight, then total (body+pack) weight applies.

Biking would probably be a mixed situation: total weight when climbing and and some fraction of the total on the level and downhill. (The level and downhill resistance is primarily aerodynamic which is caused by shape and size, not weight.)

Doug

I always burn 10,000 calories whenever I hike. Regardless of miles, elevation gain........always 10,000 calories. Then after the hike, at the Moat Brewery, I can suck down some chili and a couple brews, and still feel like I'm calorie deficient!

Please, don't spoil it for me !!!!!

Petch

I always burn 10,000 calories whenever I hike. Regardless of miles, elevation gain........always 10,000 calories. Then after the hike, at the Moat Brewery, I can suck down some chili and a couple brews, and still feel like I'm calorie deficient!

Please, don't spoil it for me !!!!!

Petch

Same for me but I go to the woodstock station and eat cheeseburgers like they are tic tacs

From Average Heart Rate

Most heart rate monitors calculate calories burned and I wondered how they do it. Here is a LINK to the livestrong site (also found the same equation on other sites) which uses your average heart rate during exercise with gender, age, weight, and time to get a calorie figure. FWIW