Huntington Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweeper

Reaction score
I drove up friday after work, and as I turned onto rt16 the heavens opened. I got to Pinkham just after 4 and started up to Hermet a 5, still raining but not as hard and by the time I made the first bridge it had all but stopped. The trip up was great. the best trip up the Tuck tr. I only saw a half dozen people and only had to pick up two pieces of trash.
Arrived at Hermet at 6:30 to find the Headwall covered with falls.
The next moring I got up at 5 to find the ravine socked in and strong winds. I took my time prepping for the day and had breakfast hoping the weather would improve. 6:30 I left headed for Huntington, as I approached I could see there wasn't much improvement.There wasn't much improvement by the time I reached the bottom of the
fan. Near the top of the fan I hiked over to get a pic of one of the many falls. Returning back to the trail I had a great view, two hikers working thier way up over the rocks, and the base of the ravine was great also. Now I felt a little better about starting the climb of the headwall. The climb on the first pitch wasn't that bad for being wet, there were plenty of hand holds. The second pitch gave me a little trouble because of the water, but again not bad. After that it's pretty much like any other steep trail. I had a bit of difficulty at the promontory (?) I stayed to the right and went over the rocks near the top of the pic, moving to the left. When I got over it looking back, I could see another route to the left that might be easier.
From here the hard climb is over. I spotted a flash of blue off the side of the trail and recognized it as a Frisbee. I retrived it so others won't get any bright ideas on future hikes.
At the jct of Hunt and the Alpine Garden tr I was hit with 50-70mph winds but the clouds had lifted part way up the cone. I wasn't going to summit, been there done that, don't need the crowds. The gardens stretch out headed of me were a far better chioce. YES'SA
Enjoying the view TOO much and not watching where I walking, I rolled over my ankle on a tippie rock and just to make matter worst did it again about 200' up the trail. Great! I climb Huntington with only a small cut on the shin and I haven't walked a 1/4 mile on flat terrain and I've rolled my ankle. TWICE! Looking back at Nelson Craig
As I said the flowers were beautiful in the garden. A lot of them had gone thorough but there was plenty to see.http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/sweeper54/Huntington Hike/P7290058.jpg
I finished my sroll across the gardens with not further problems and turned to go down over Lions Head. There were great views of the headwall and the bowl all along the trail.
A little ways below the Lions Head is a smaller peak that I figured would offer some great veiws. Carefully hike out to it I was right with a veiw straight into the headwall and was directly over Hermet and the large "Lake".
Continuing down the trail I ran into a large group of people coming up. I stepped to the side of the trail to let them pass and one asked me if I was coming down from the top. I quickly descirbed my route and was asked "Are you Sweeper?"
"Yes"
"I'm Bobby"
They were on the 12th annual Trooper Paul Perry hike, and I've got to tell you, and Bobby, who said he'd look forward to this post, THIS IS A GREAT GROUP OF HIKERS! They moved well, EVERYONE was motivated and were enjoying their climb. From the speedy ones in the front to the ones in the rear.
Bobby I don't do groups, I HATE Washington on a weekend, but I hope I'm free next year to join you for the 13th climb, I've got it written in on my calender for next year.
Continuing down my ankle gave my more problems. I knew I won't make the trip over to the Great Gulf trail and if I did and woke up sunday with a totally stiff ankle I'd have a 4 mile walk back to Pinkham. I got back to the shelter and packed up.
The trip down was one of the worst I've had and not just because it took me an hour longer then it did to get up. I'm not going to end this post with a describtion.
It was a great hike, with no regrets about not doing the Madison Gulf tr.

I've got one question for next years climb of Huntington. Is there more views of the headwall from the "Cat Road" vs the trial going into Huntington's?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Great TR, Sweeper. It was nice to meet you, hope the ankle gets better in a hurry. I'll pass your compliments onto the other hikers in our group. Thanks for sharing the photos, nice work. :)

sweeper said:
...At the jct of Hunt and the Alpine Garden tr I was hit with 50-70mph winds...

How could you tell the wind speed? I'm not doubting that the winds were as you described them. I'm just wondering how people know the wind speeds...experience? portable measuring device? or read the weather archive the next day? Sometimes I swear the winds are 40-50mph, and the next day I find out they were 20-25mph.

Nice pix. Embedding them in the text helps with the descriptions.

When you can lean into it and it supports you I judge that a strong wind and I figured a 20mph bracket would cover it.

We were on the summit and the winds were sustained around 45-50 with gusts even higher. Good questimate! :)

hikerfast said:
that spot you called the 'promotory'..where exactly is that on the headwall?

It's at the top of the steep. From there it's a cake walk from there to the jct of the Alpine Garden tr.