I wanted to go for a long day hike, so I did.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

averagejoe

Reaction score
I could say I tried to find someone to hike or climb with to keep myself from trying this, but I wanted it ever since it spanked me and a buddy almost exactly two years ago.

Honey, I'm going.

Joe, It's midnight.

I know, but I'm not even a little bit tired.

You're crazy.

I love you too.

About 12:30AM on Thursday I'm on 95 headed for Crawford Notch. A cop was the only other traffic on 16 through N. Conway at 3:00ish in the morning.

About 3:30AM I get to the Highland Center to water up and inquire about the hiker shuttle.

Out of the car and on the trail at 3:56AM, feeling good and just wanting to be on the ridge by sunrise.

Okay, the hike to Pierce was uneventful. About 15 minutes before I got to the top I saw two small lights to the left (ridge) side of the trail and could smell white gas burning. I said good morning and kept moving. As the trees thinned out I noticed that there didn't seem to be as many stars as I saw in the parking lot. I said "come on, is this how its really going to be". Top of Pierce 5:03AM... ...1 hour & 8 minutes... ...I'm gonna feel that later in the day. I looked around for a few minutes to see if it felt like rain or just some clouds moving through. Onward to Ike through the dark and clouds.

5:36AM Eisenhower summit. One water bottle not being enough would turn out to be a reoccurring theme. Woops! Moving on to Franklin. I don't know why but I had no clue precisely where Franklin's summit is. Okay, here i come Monroe, and there I go down to the Lakes hut. Yeah, I was getting a little thirsty by then so I put away a little water, refilled and got out of there, since the hut crew were getting breakfast set and I didn't want to be in the way.

Onward and upward. Hey George, I know it's been a while, but I'm back. 7:30AM on the nose and Washington's summit was dead quiet. After my heart settled down & between the "wind gusts" (like 10-15 mph), there was utter silence. Dead calm. It was amazing to stroll around on the summit for about 15 minutes and the only trace of life was the traffic in Pinkham. That's why I got on the trail so early. That and I needed to make the 2:30 hiker shuttle at Appalachia.

Onward and downward. Over Clay and down to the Sphinx Col.

Onward and... ...hum, Jefferson looks big, this might be tough. Okay lets just take it one step at a time and do this thing. Huh, my neck is starting to feel warm, I need more brim, and I've only got a quarter on a bottle left. If I wasn't confident in my ability to suffer through the hard times, I might start getting worried. Next time I'm gonna say forget going lightweight and just bring the beer. Up to the top of Jefferson and... ...really!... ...is that Adams or is that Washington's twin. Okay, get a grip, you're fine Joe. You're making good time and the hut is on the other side.

Didn't I hear an escalator was going in somewhere around here. It must have gotten slashed from the budget.

Up Adams I heard two twenty somethings talking with the younger one saying something to the extent of "AMGA certified and you can't keep us on the trail". As I passed them the 'leader' say's to me "you got a real technical one ahead of you" to which I said "you mean Adams?" him "yeah" me "oh, thanks for the beta, have a fun day".

I got to the Madison hut at about 11:00AM and settled in for a short break. At the hut I got some lemonade and water, ditched the pack and bagged Madison. I got back to the hut, got a little more water and got onto the Airline at about noon. I got to Rt 2 at 1:34PM.

The few people I saw who I talked to all said the same thing. It was a beautiful day, but almost too warm. I said to more than one person, that you could ask for better weather but I'm not sure it exists.

I didn't stop at the Moat, which I'm kicking myself for. But I did get home and make dinner for me and my future ex-wife.

Photos http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=77143&id=1300664335&fbid=1583012217470&ref=mf

Nice dawn prez traverse.. way to attack it, dude!

Let's get on some rock routes before the end of fall.

I'm going to Yosemite for a week in the middle of September, getting married a few days after I come back, then going to (honeymoon at) Park City for a week afterwards.

I think I may use up a few of my do whatever I want points with the Yosemite trip, but I would like to get out on some climbs with you before the snow flies. And then, well, climbing, hiking, skiing & riding.

What are you leading these days, and whats your rack?

Hey "AVERAGEJOE"...I don't think your average. Cool trip report and nice pics.
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials".

mirabela, it was Thursday. I would have liked to grabbed a hotel room and stayed over to go out on Friday, but I was so whipped I turned tail and went home. I heard Friday was going to be beautiful. Were you up there?

Maddy, thanks. I am definitely getting the better end of the deal.