If you had only one mountain?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One Mountain to bind them one Mountain to rule them all....The Mountain needs the valleys to define itself, therefore the surrounding area is part of the equation. Therefore I pick....Owl's Head.

Can we at least get a varriety of trail mix? Or do we only get one choice.

Wow - not fair. If I had only one mountain that I could climb I would have to say Algonquin. I usually don't list it as one of my favorites, but the hike is good and in spots, can be challenging, and the views at the top are some of the best.

It would have to be Chocorua for me. I'll be there in a couple of weeks if anyone wants to go :D .

Moose -- 3899 feet, expansive views of the Dacks, Lake Placid, Champlain Valley, St. Lawrence Valley and into Canada. Best of all, it's not on anyone's 4000 foot list and one can spend an entire day looking out and not meet another sole.

MMK

the Greatest Mountain

There is only one possible choice for me:

The Greatest Mountain

or "Kette-Adene" (now spelled "Katahdin") in the language of the native people.

It stands above the Penobscot River like Adamant. It is impossible, wonderful, awful, beautiful, indomitable, seemingly unclimbable. And so it must have seemed to the native people over their long history, and to Charles Turner in 1804, and to Henry David Thoreau in 1846, and to Earl Shaffer in 1948. And so it seems to me today.

Pb

Chocorua

Hey, the Knife Edge is awesome, and I really love Caps Ridge, but, if I'm going to pick one mountain, I want there to be a variety of trails to choose from.

Other considerations:

good scrambling at the summit
great views
not as strenuous as most 4000 footers (I am 61, after all)
not as easy as Monadnock (but I'm not dead yet)

Sleeping Giant in Connecticut. It's not much more than a bump, but I don't know of another place so close to major cities where you can feel so far away.

Dix Mountain. Members of my family have been camping near the base of that mountain for at least 4 generations. Plus look as all the different slides I could climb.

I probably would have to say Giant. I've climbed it 24 times and, counting the slides, so many ways to get up there. The slides avoid the crowds on the busiest days. It is great to introduce people to the High Peaks.

Baxter is a little moutain, but it was the first mountain I took my daughter up.

Does Rainier count?

Abraham, in my 5 visits I've never had to share the summit. There are two other wonderful open summits on this fantastic ridge, Middle and South.

I would have to say Moosilauke. I have climbed it at least once a year since I started hiking. I love the views. I love the trails. I love the climb itself.

Another vote for Monadnock. Climbed it today in fog and drizzle and saw another side of it. Dublin trail was a stream bed, no views, but it is the only place in southern NH that really "feels" like the whites but is only 10 minutes from my home. S & N pack monadnock come close but not quite. Monadnock gives me the "recharge" that I need to face the new day. Sure, I'd love to be on top of a real "4k peak", but in my mind, I was!!!!! :D

Last edited:
ALGONQUIN: Its my fav so far. Views towards Mt Colden are unmatched ANYWHERE in my opinion...