In Praise of Lesser Peaks - Baldface & Speckled

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMF

Reaction score
IWith a couple of days free in New Hampshire after taking my daughter to college, I thought I would take advantage of some day hiking in the Evans Notch area of the Whites based on some recommendations on this board. This was my first visit to the Evans Notch area, & it was a refreshing change from the usual mayhem in the area of the “big 3” notches.

Day 1 I did the Baldface Circle. What a hike – all the exposure and views of an above tree line hike, with none of the attendant boulder fields that typically accompany those elevations. The ledges on Baldface reminded me of some of the slide hikes in the Adirondacks. Day 2 was spent going up Speckled Mtn via the Bickford trail & down via Blueberry Ridge. Blueberry Ridge lived up to its name, as the berries were abundant. It also has one of the steepest sections of trail I have encountered, where it drops from the ridgeline down to Bickford Brook. My old knees find it easier when the trail is steep enough to require the use of hands AND feet to make progress (as on Baldface), and the Blueberry Ridge trail was not quite steep enough for that.

During the 2 days I encountered one group of 6 on Speckled and another group of 6, 2 couples, and 2 singles on Baldface. Not bad at all for the Whites, where some trails can be like conga lines! Definitely something to be said for being off the beaten path and not on a highpoint list.

Evans Notch is one of my favorite areas - and probably my favorite notch next to Crawfords. I also liked the hike to East Royce mountain. I will have to try Speckled mtn.

Hear-hear all give a hand to the smaller mountains. I couldn't agree more. Most lack the praise their big brothers and sisters get.

Hey! You guys are all letting the secret out! ;)

Evans Notch is a wonderful and special place. East Royce was the first "real" mountain each of my kids climbed. Its combination of many small stream crossings, short trail, interesting but not difficult steepness, open ledges and summit views make it a very good way to introduce a child to the magic of climbing mountains.

One technique that works well: I made a "deal" with the kids that we were required to take a break and eat M&Ms at each stream crossing, feigning ignorance about whether there would be any at all. The rests and the blood sugar boosts helped their 4 year old bodies make it up the hill in great spirits.