In search of the Scar Ridge Holy Grail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a great time and were "pleasantly surprised" by the ease of this bushwack. If you go, you just have to convince HarryK to go with you. He found the herd path and we were able to pretty much stay with it to the top. Can't believe we just walked right up to the canister!

We didn't do quite as well coming down and lost the path about the same place we found it going up. Still, after hearing horror stories about this particular bushwack, it was nice not to be adding to them. Then again, HarryK did go swimming at the end. :eek:

Last edited:
Love those herd paths

Glad you guys managed to find a good path up; this was one of the most self-abusive bushwhacks I've done (coming up from the Pond on the Tripoli Rd. side); we had lots of blowdowns and because of the incline and cuz it had rained in the last couple of days kept slipping as we tried to climb over 'em, leading to supreme black-n-blues on my shins that lasted a good week.

On the other hand, we did manage to find the cannister and did find the herd path on the top which led us pretty close to it.

Glad to hear you had an easier time then we did.

These avatars of Harryk are even scarier then Sherpa John in a bikini. :) :D

Registers on Scar Ridge

The hike across the ridge from the Osceola-Scar Ridge col wasn't too bad at the start. Both of the knobs on the East peaks of Scar ridge had registers, each claiming to be East Scar Ridge (NHHH). The Middle peak also had a canister, also a NHHH. The trip from Middle to West Scar Ridge was very thick and sprucy although without a lot of blowdown. It appeared to get a little better as we approached the West peak.
Descent was by the ridge leading to Hancock Branch, but we came off the ridge a little early into a ravine with a small water fall and cliff.

There have been a lot of storms and time for trees to grow since the early 90's when I did this trip, so the information may not be especially valuable.