Jan 7, 2010: Haystack and Finishing the Quest for the W46

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46erDan

Reaction score
Conditions:
South Side Trail from Garden to Peggy O'Brien (PO) Camp is in excellent sking and showshoeing condition. The short dips toward John's Brook can make for a few challenging manuvers especially on skis. From PO to Bushnell Falls and onto Slant Rock also in excellent condition. We took the Shorey Short Cut to the Range Trail to the base of Little Haystack. All trails are broken and in excellent shape. The trail above tree line up and down Little Haystack and on to Haystack required great care due to high winds, icey conditions, and low temperatures. Excellent winter mountaineering skills and proper equipment required for the 0.5 miles. The views were spectacular from the summits. It was a 360-degree glorious panoramic view of all the other peaks that were bathed in glorious sunlight. Other than the 75 mph winds, it was an exceptional summit day.

Equipment:
Snowshoes for the trails, 12-point crampons for the summit portions, and all the winter essentials for safe travel out and back.

Comments:
This was the finest winter outing I have had in my 10-year quest to become a winter 46er. The conditons were exceptional, the weather was ideal, and all aspects of winter mountaineering were present. Most significant for me, however, was being a part of a 12-man team that shared and celebrated the experience together. The support and companionship I experienced is beyond description. Thanks to Ron and Nathan for support all along the approach to Little Haystack, to Isaac and David for being the advanced team to break the trail to the summit, and to Brian, Tyler, Rick, Jim, Matt, Tom, and Shaun for standing on the summit with me. I could not have asked for a finer group of individuals to complete the 46W. In the end, I give God all the honor and praise for strength and endurance and for safe travel out and back over the past 10 years with many other hiking friends that made this day possible. Thank you all!

Dan Lewicki

Last edited: