JBL warming hut this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1889

Reaction score
Myself and 2 othes will be spending the weekend at the "warming hut" near Johns Brook Lodge. It's the little cabin on the right side of the trail about 50 yards before you get to JBL. It is staffed by volunteers on winter weekends to provide a warm place for passing hikers to stop and get warm and have a hot drink. We also have radio contact with Adk Loj and DEC in case of emergencies. If anyone is in the Johns Brook Valley this weekend, stop by and say hello, let us know where you're going, and have some hot chocolate. We'll be there from late Friday afternoon through Sunday lunch time. It's a cozy, warm place to spend a weekend and it's the closest I will ever come to winter camping!

Mike,
Many thanks to you and other volunteers. It is very nice to know that the hut is there. We used to always make sure we made invited the warming hut volunteers to our massive dinners when staying at JBL in the winter.
Have a fun weeekend!!!

I stopped in a couple times last winter, and found the hospitality and hot chocolate a wonderful thing at the end of a long day. Have a good weekend Mike.

Well it was really warm last weekend and hardly anyone stopped to get warm inside the cabin or get hot drinks, go figure. I did manage to fit in climbs to Lower Wolf Jaw and Big Slide/Yard and got to play around with my new digital camera.

Last edited:
Mike: We cruised by the Hut at about 7:30 AM on our way to Haystack and all was very quiet. Saw 3 pairs of snowhoes outside but no other signs of life. Didn't want to wake the sleeping bears. Thanks for being there in case we needed some help. JR