Just for the Hale of it! 07.31.05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpschroder

Reaction score
Sunday 7/31/05 I'm planning on a hike of Hale, Zealand, Willey, Field, and Tom. Here's the list of trails I plan to use:

2.2 Hale Brook Trail
2.7 Lend a Hand Trail
4.5 Twin Way
1.4 ZeaCliff Trail
4.3 Ethan Pond Trail
4.6 Willy Range Trail and Tom Spur
1 AZ Trail
1.3 Avalon Trail
22 miles

The start is at Zealand road and the end would be at the Highland Center. Come along and enjoy some spectacular cliffs, falls, ponds and a traverse!

The Zeacliff Trail and the Willey Slide in one hike ... have fun and apologize to your feet and knees!

I am very curious to know how the Zeacliff Trail is; I've only ventured a few hundred yards down from the junction at the Ethan Pond Trail, never all the way to the crossing or up the other side.

MichaelJ said:
I am very curious to know how the Zeacliff Trail is; I've only ventured a few hundred yards down from the junction at the Ethan Pond Trail, never all the way to the crossing or up the other side.

We went down it last year - fairly easy going - some slipping. Great views!

MichaelJ said:
The Zeacliff Trail and the Willey Slide in one hike ... have fun and apologize to your feet and knees!

The Zeacliff Trail is rough and steep... it reminds me of descending on the Osgood Trail off Madison where it just seems to take forever. Look for the nice old logging campsite on your right a couple of 10ths before crossing Whitewall Brook. It won't be too bad on your knees though, I don't think.

As far as condition... last time I was on it was in 2003 and it was narrow and fairly easy to follow except for a confusing points, most likely where old logging roads cross it.

Going through Zealand Notch is a blast! If you can and since you're already doing 20+ miles, take the little side trip to Thoreau Falls. It's worth it and you can probably dunk your tired feet in the water for a few minutes. There's a bunch of neat potholes there and a nice view to the east side of Bond (including an alpine zone on the east side). Have Fun!

-Dr. Wu

Reactions: MEB
Not to r@!n on any parades, but I'm not sure how this itinerary includes the Willey Slide -- though it can be reached by bushwhacking ENE from the summit. The first half mile or so is rough, then you reach the lateral scree band just below where it steepens, then bear south (right) to hit the stream gully that leads to the slabby Willey Slide.

It's easier going up, and probably easier in winter (I haven't tried in any other season).

Okay, good point. It's not *the* Willey Slide, merely the very steep southern end of the Willey Range Trail which I've heard described as a slide (though I have not been there myself).

MichaelJ said:
Okay, good point. It's not *the* Willey Slide, merely the very steep southern end of the Willey Range Trail which I've heard described as a slide (though I have not been there myself).

It's definitely a "slide" in the winter! Lots of fun except for the ladders, ouch. :D

Sounds like a great hike Brian, wish I could join you.

Hey Dude. I saw you on the trail that morning. Early in the morning, probably around 8AM my father-in-law and I were halfway or a little more up Hale and you passed us. You had a red shirt and treking poles. We stopped and you told us you were doing this hike, 22 miles to the HIghland Center. I thought DAMN, now that is ambitious. We told you we were just doing the loop, up Hale, down to the hut and back down Zealand Tr. You must have breezed right through the summit of Hale, heh? You were long gone when we summited. But we took our time going up and still finished the loop in 5 hours. We were done by noontime. I'd like to hear how that trek went also. Damn long one! wow. But yeah, nice to meet ya again, my name is Steve and my dad-in-law was Lenny.

I wrote this in the other forums about that day: Lost Dog Story