Kayak venue and size

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duane

Reaction score
I'm planning on spending much more time flat water kayaking in NH, primarily in the Keene area but I probably won't be bringing my 12' Pungos with me. Any ideas on good rivers and lakes for putting in? The only place I've been on so far is the McDowell reservoir. Also, is it a good idea to get 9 or 10 foot kayaks to accommodate smaller rivers or would 12 footers be okay? I'm thinking that the smaller kayaks would be lighter to carry and more maneuverable on the water. I talked to a river guide in Lincoln that uses 9 footers on the Pemi.
Thanks.

duane

I once determined I needed six boats to serve all circumstances well. My first objective was to get one boat that best served our most important pursuit well, paddle camping.

I now own a 21' tandem, nicknamed Queen Mary by friends for its "maneuverability", but I had rented and borrowed many others before settling on this boat. I figured there are always at least two of us and I wanted a boat for paddle camping so the larger boat does very well what others can't (e.g. carry large loads, good sea kayaking or rough water, tracks well, streamlined so easy to move along with comparatively little effort ... long paddles less tiring as a result) but is overkill for lots of my paddling.

True, a short boat is more maneuverable but even the 21' has served us well for a variety of rivers, lakes, creeks, bays, marshes. Sure, sometimes we backpaddle a bit to get back in more navigable water but we've deemed it a small price to pay for all the other features.

The real short boats are most suitable for white water. Our boat can get us in trouble above class I so we'd either avoid anything rougher or portage if feasible.

My next boat will probably be a single and I think about 12', as lightweight as possible, with a narrow beam and under hatch storage. I like the longer boat for its tracking and a streamlined boat paddles easier and less tiring over long distances. I like long distances, they increase the opportunities for explorations. The less tiring aspect also means less wear and tear on your body over a long time. Plan now for retirement ... you'd not like being riddled with tendenitis and arthritis just when you have the time to get out whenever you want. (Lightweight paddles also pay off in this regard.)

A shorter boat can mean less weight and that serves the above purpose but keep in mind, the "efficiency" is determined by the ratio between length and beam, along with the boat's lines, and there is only so narrow that a boat can get so short boats with the same beam as a longer boat will likely be more work to paddle, unless it is markedly lower in weight.

My suggestion is to try out a few boats in your range of sizes to help with your decision. Keep in mind that a bigger boat can do everything a smaller boat can, 'cept for that whitewater thing, but it can be dangerous to take a small boat to do a bigger boat's job.

One other thing, comfort is important, especially over longer distances. A paddler with a wide beam may not be very comfortable in a narrow boat. Seats matter considerably, too. Get a boat with good seats or adapt the seat to give good lower back support and you'll enjoy almost any paddle more.

Can't recommend much in NH except Umbagog and Great Bay. Massachusetts, Maine and Florida are my favorite paddle places ... Mass. because there is so much that is convenient.

Thanks for the response Stan. You've given me much to think about.

I smiled when I read your comment, "Plan now for retirement". You read my mind brother! I just bought a house in Keene but it's going to be another year or so before my wife and I can move up there full time. My Pungos are Duralite which saves 10 pounds and I'm hoping that the NH kayaks stay around the same weight, 40 lbs.

I've tried 9 foot kayaks in the past but to your point about efficiency, they seemed clumsy and required greater effort than longer boats. Also, the smaller boats seem to be 'lower end' without the features of longer ones.

I'll research this more but probably go with 12-14 footers as light as I can find.

Thanks again.

duane

I'm planning on spending much more time flat water kayaking in NH, primarily in the Keene area but I probably won't be bringing my 12' Pungos with me. Any ideas on good rivers and lakes for putting in? The only place I've been on so far is the McDowell reservoir. Also, is it a good idea to get 9 or 10 foot kayaks to accommodate smaller rivers or would 12 footers be okay? I'm thinking that the smaller kayaks would be lighter to carry and more maneuverable on the water. I talked to a river guide in Lincoln that uses 9 footers on the Pemi.
Thanks.

duane

Speaking of Keene, check out the Mountain Brook Reservoir in Jaffrey. It's small but is pretty nice in that it is not developed, has a nice view of Monadnock and has a little island. It is also close to Kimball Farms for ice cream afterwards..

There is a good book on Quiet Water in NH (I think it's an AMC book)...as well. I had my 12' pungo on the reservoir...

Jay

Thanks Jay. Where is the best place to put in? On Google Earth there looks to be an access just off of Rte. 202.

I need to get that book...

There is no subsitute for a long boat with narrow beam for easy paddling. The trade off is that they take longer to turn and can be a bit of a handfull with the wind at your back. On the big lakes up north and the Androscoggin River (near me), I do fine with my 19 foot guilemot and its obvious when out with folks with shorter boats that they run out of steam a lot quicker.

Consign yourself that the first boat you buy (or build) will always be a compromise. If you like the sport, you inevitably are going to end up replacing it. Dont buy retail, find someone else who decided the sport isnt for them. Lightweight boats in general are more prone to abuse, you cant beat "tupperware" for durability but the trade off is usually hull design and weight.

Thanks Jay. Where is the best place to put in? On Google Earth there looks to be an access just off of Rte. 202.

I need to get that book...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.801887,-72.042682&num=1&gl=us&t=m&z=15

That's where a friend I put launched from. Yes there is a launch right on 202 but the one I linked to above (Jacquith Road) is more central. It is a dirt road that was kind of rutted at the end but I suspect it would be fine for all but say a Miata..

There are a lot of small lakes and ponds in SW NH, the trick is finding one that is quiet and not motorized, most of the larger ones are motorized..

Jay

I personally prefer a boat 14 feet or more. I have two. One is 14' and the other is 17. The longer one is for bigger water, such as sea kayaking, and has a skeg which I like better than a rudder. The 14 ' boat is one I bought off of eBay. I had to drive to Massachusetts to get it and it has a defect so that a rudder can't be put on it, but it doesn't really need one. I've paddled some 10' boats but they seem cumbersome by comparison. The shorter boats are usually wider which makes them feel less "tippy" but a narrower boat doesn't mean it is going to be easy to go over in. It's the chine that makes the difference. I've found a shorter boat wiggles back and forth if I am trying to "get somewhere" by paddling more vigorously. Try some boats out before you buy. Get something that fits you well and meets many of your needs. Pungos are really great boats. So are the Tsunamis. My larger boat is a Tempest. My smaller one is a lesser known brand -- in fact, I can't even remember what it is. A little more weight for a fun boat is worth the poundage, IMO.

We've got a Necky Gannet (11.5) and a Tsunami 120. Both are great flat water boats and are by no means too long for river paddling. They are also great when there is wind and chop and track really well. Wouldn't want to go shorter.