Killington via Bucklin Trail Memorial Day

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LenDawg

Reaction score

Chinooktrail and I started the day late with a full stomach of pancakes and eggs and proceeded to the third mountain of the weekend. The weather was fantastic; warm, not too humid, clear skies, and a nice breeze. We made our way to the start of the Bucklin Trail.

We enjoyed the peaceful walk in the woods along Brewers Brook. Both of us elected to go with trailrunners instead of boots which was a good choice. The lower sections of the trail was a bit muddy in sections, but easy through which to maneuver. We made good time through the lower sections coming to what our map detailed as a difficult stream crossing in high water. When we got there, we found a nice bridge to cross, so we decided to use it :p .

We started our ascent up the steeper section of the trail. Overall, the trail was dry and free from snow. We turned right on the Long Trail to the cabin, then headed up the spur trail to Killington's summit. The view was breathtaking. We ate lunch and relaxed for an hour on the summit. Great food with a great view... can't beat that restaurant!!!

We headed down in good time talking about everything from life, to the Legend of Zelda. I can't say our trip was 'epic', but it was fun, relaxing, and exhilirating.

One interesting point was how different book times for the VT Mountain Club were for AMC book times. On our first and third hikes of the weekend, we made much better time than the book time. On the second hike, we were well behind it. I found that to be very interesting and was curious if anyone else had the same experience.

Anyway, it was a fun time. Thanks Christine for a wonderful hike, as always!

LenDawg said:

One interesting point was how different book times for the VT Mountain Club were for AMC book times. On our first and third hikes of the weekend, we made much better time than the book time. On the second hike, we were well behind it. I found that to be very interesting and was curious if anyone else had the same experience ...

Did you have the Vermont Maple Syrup with those pancakes or the New Hampshire look-alike? GMC book times are directly tied to one's intake of the Vermont variety ... ;)

(edit - fix spelling error ...)

Last edited:
Hi Kevin, we did indeed have Vermont maple syrup!

Thanks LenDawg for a great weekend of hiking!

It was great to be back out there, and seeing new places, Vermont is so beautiful, can't wait to go back and get the next Two. :)