Kilted Thru Hikers and Hungry Jays

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freighttrain48

Reaction score
Because of prior engagements I needed a hike for last sunday that I could do quickly and be back to southern nh by 4pm. I did Jackson the tuesday before and never ended up doing Pierce. So I left derry at 7am and made my way north. Stopped at white mountain bagel in lincoln and was at the trailhead by 9:30. It did not take us to long to summit but I must say it has one stellar view for not that much effort. I ran into a kilted sobo thru hiker who kind of looked like Gandalf from lord of the rings. I wished him a warm Xmas in Georgia and made my way to the summit to find a friendly gray jay. I had to show my girlfreind how bold they were and give him some bread crumbs. My video making continues as I try figure this Contour Hd camera out before the winter fun begins. Please check it out on my Youtube Channel and let me know your thoughts

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimmcmurchy?feature=mhee

Great stuff. I wonder if that kilted thru hiker might have been someone I met earlier in the month in western Maine. His trail name was "Trail Leaf" and he spoke with an accent (Scottish, perhaps). He was a really nice guy.

Looks like you had a great hike.

Marty

Did this kilted solo thru hiker have an accent? (scottish?) If so, we saw someone fitting the Gandalf description on Sunday between Pierce and Eisenhower chirping on about the mud situation. Same guy?? :)

Thanks Marty and Sabrina. I could not detect any accent because I was out of breath from pushing hard up the crawford path and he was soft spoken. I asked " You on the way to maine" they said "no georgia" and I said "good thats a better direction to head this time of year, wished a happy Xmas in Georgia" and we parted ways this was at the jct of the crawford path and webster cliff trail. Its about 2mins in the youtube video. I suspect that he would be the same guy you folks saw, dont think there would be more than one kilted thru hiker resembling Gandalf but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I am pretty sure that is Trail Leaf. Glad he is making his way along. The day I saw him turned into an awful day and night. Thunderstorm after thunderstorm moved, starting about 2 pm and dumped 2.5 inches at our camp in Rangeley. Am assuming that he got absolutely soaked. He was planning to take his time on the trail and enjoy it.

Enjoyed the video. What is the sound track used? I enjoyed that also -
Thanks, Dave

Thanks kiteflyer the song is called funky b@#$h (female dog) and the band is phish. I picked it because when I edited the video down they were the same length.

Very nice! I agree, the effort up the Crawford Path is minimal to such a great view point. I must say I still like Jackson's view better, as I think it is more open, whereas Pierce is more northward only. The Jays are great! Sounds like it was a great short hike. Did you make it back by 4PM?

Karl

Very nice! I agree, the effort up the Crawford Path is minimal to such a great view point. I must say I still like Jackson's view better, as I think it is more open, whereas Pierce is more northward only. The Jays are great! Sounds like it was a great short hike. Did you make it back by 4PM?

Karl

I made it to manchester by 4:45 I have trouble leaving summits on nice days:) Jackson and Pierce both have great views. Its amazing how much bigger the peaks seam on pierce as oppsed to jackson I know pierce is almost 2 miles closer. I think there is more of a wow factor on pierce you come out of the woods and there are huge peaks right infront of you. But jackson definitly has a better vantage point of the whole area. One of theese days Karl we will have to team up being that we dont live that far apart.