Kinsman question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tracked the loop using AllTrails, I was surprised the s5 cell phone battery lasted all day

Attachments

• 2014-12-27 15.51.08.jpg
    2014-12-27 15.51.08.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Well thanks for looking. I've been informed this stuff really should go in a trip report thread. Bear with me, I learn pretty fast and feel free to offer me any pointers on using the forum.

Tracked the loop using AllTrails, I was surprised the s5 cell phone battery lasted all day

Impressive that the battery lasted for the whole hike. Did you have it in airplane mode and how much power was left in the battery when you returned to the trailhead?

This may seem like overkill to some, but my winter hikes in the Whites include all my winter gear...microspikes, snowshoes, crampons, ice axe, goggles, balaclava, mitts, outer layer, thermo pad, bivy . I've only used the axe on 2 occasions, but it weight little. This way, my weight carried is consistent, I'm not without when conditions change, I can hike solo without concern. If I am with an AMC group or other planned adventure, I'll probably defer to the trip leader and leave some stuff in the car. Nice photos, great trip!

Last edited:
Ruff: FYI Someone on this site once suggested carrying zip ties for quick temporary repair of micro spikes. I've carried them ever since and got to use them several hikes ago when a link opened.

Caution with the zip ties: I love them too, but have found that they get extremely fragile/brittle when temps fall into the 30s or below. A friend's Sherpa snowshoes broke on Boundary Peak, and I proudly stepped in to save the day with my cable ties. But alas, they kept breaking. Luckily I was also packing bailing wire and pliers.

It's possible that there are brands/materials not susceptible to this, but if so I haven't found them.

Alex

Impressive that the battery lasted for the whole hike. Did you have it in airplane mode and how much power was left in the battery when you returned to the trailhead?

No, app/service wise, everything was turned off, except for GPS and AllTrails. I made one call to my wife around lunchtime to check in, but otherwise it stayed in my pocket all day and used 90% from 720am-345pm.

Too bad I lost it on Sunday :( the replacement should be in today..