Knob Lock Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
Has anybody been on the summit of Knob Lock mountain, if so, are there any worthwhile views or interesting topography to see and what's the surrounding forest like for bushwhacking? Thanks as always for any input. Buddy

It's a very popular summit with wonderful views. Search over on ADKHighPeaks or ADKForum for at least a couple detailed threads. There are several good routes, a couple not so good routes, and much interesting topography. Enjoy!

Actually, there used to be a trail up Knob Lock from the Hurricane trail side. If you walk about 1000' east from the Hurricane parking, and then head straight south into the drainage between Knob Lock and Tripod, the going is pretty good. If you curve somewhat SE into the tight col very close to Knob Lock, you may pick up traces of the old trail. I saw traces of it about 15 years ago - a hint of trailbed, a couple markers, a few cairns. The old trail zig zags up the steep S Face of Knob Lock to the summit. It's one of the many interesting routes on this little peak!

Very helpful, thanks, I could not find the trip reports from the other sites so this info is exactly what I'm looking for. Plan on camping and whacking around this area come Febuary. Buddy

We did Tripod and Knob Lock Mtns, two 3000 footers, in the mid 1990s starting somewhere near across from the Hurricane Trail. I recall Tripod as an all wooded "moderate" bushwhack. We continued on and were pleasantly surprised to see and utilize all the open rock slopes on Knob Lock (ZOOM IN) . There are a few thick areas to negotiate. I suggest not heading directly north off Knob Lock to reach the highway. There are cliffs. Have fun! We certainly did.

The threads were very helpful and it seems like everyones experience on Knob Lock has been positve, so I guess give it a look. Thanks again all, Buddy

Best route, IMO, is off the north trail to Giant. Just before Slide Brook, leave the trail, turn right, and start climbing. The ridge narrows so you can't go wrong as long as you're going uphill. Once on the crest, there's are a long line of south-facing ledges. Each time you're forced into the woods it doesn't last, and soon there's more open rock. The end of the ridge is obvious, with Knoblock clearly in view and very close. Dropping off the ridge toward KL itself is where you'll want eye protection. After the big erratic, you start climbing again. That's the hardest part but it's short. From the top (twin tops, actually) you can take a compass bearing on the gravel pit on 9N. The topography tends to pull you too far east. If you let it, you will encounter a posted property line, but stay due north and you'll come out on the road not far from the trailhead. There are indications that others sometimes use that approach to climb KL. I've done Tripod and nothing to add to Dennis' comments. Oh yeah, one more thing; if you walk down the road from the Hurricane trailhead to the beginning of the guard rail and 'whack uphill from there, there's a big waterfall about 20 minutes from the road. The walk to it is scrufty but the waterfall is a hidden gem.

That's some great info. I'm definately going to make some time to explore that area. I could not convince my hiking pals to explore this area for our annual winter camping whackathon trip,so I'll have get there at some other time. We'll be whacking around Niagara valley and the shoulder up to Sunrise instead. No complaints. As always, thanks for the input. Buddy