ladders in the adirondack highpeaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shmucko

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm trying to find which trails in the high peaks have ladders that might be impassible for a 75lb. dog (husky/akita? mix) who does not take well to being hoisted 15-feet vertically. Dog can climb o.k., so alternate scrambleing routes are alright, but we've learned, from experience, that that is not always an option.
Last year we (girl, dog, and i) found our originally planned loop unreasonable because of the ladder just south of the indian pass summit. We made it from the upper-works trail head to that final ladder just fine (past the first set of ladders), but absolutely could not pass the ladder. we spent an hour trying, stopping just short of hoisting kira-the-dog up in a sleeping bag.
This year we will be base camping and daypacking, so finding through routes is not so essential, but it would be nice to get some summit views along with our hikes.

any advice or links to sites with good dog trails would be very helpfull

thanks
(previously posted on alpinezone)

shmucko said:
Hey all,

I'm trying to find which trails in the high peaks have ladders that might be impassible for a 75lb. dog (husky/akita? mix) who does not take well to being hoisted 15-feet vertically. Dog can climb o.k., so alternate scrambleing routes are alright, but we've learned, from experience, that that is not always an option.
Last year we (girl, dog, and i) found our originally planned loop unreasonable because of the ladder just south of the indian pass summit. We made it from the upper-works trail head to that final ladder just fine (past the first set of ladders), but absolutely could not pass the ladder. we spent an hour trying, stopping just short of hoisting kira-the-dog up in a sleeping bag.
This year we will be base camping and daypacking, so finding through routes is not so essential, but it would be nice to get some summit views along with our hikes.

any advice or links to sites with good dog trails would be very helpfull

thanks
(previously posted on alpinezone)

There is a ladder section between the Wolf Jaws and Armstrong. One of our group did mangae to bushwhack up around it, but she used her hands quite a bit to pull herself up thru the trees, something the dog can't really do.

There is a ladder section on the trail that descends between Armstrong and Gothics, going towards the lake road. A dog might be able to skirt it.

I'd stay away from the trap dike on Colden!

Tom Rankin said:
There is a ladder section on the trail that descends between Armstrong and Gothics, going towards the lake road. A dog might be able to skirt it.

That one wouldn't matter anyway because it is on AMR property where dogs are prohibited.

There's a fairly long ladder on the side Basin from the Haystack col.

There is also a ladder going up Basin from the Basin/Haystack col (probably can be skirted). Orebed brook trail has many ladders. Sawteeth scenic trail from the lake has many ladders. Aside from those, most of the peaks are relatively ladder free. I don't recall any dog-problem ladders on the Dixes, Giant and RPR, Cascade/Porter, Big Slide, most of the Great Range except the aforementioned, Skylight, etc. Dial and Nippletop are OK, Whiteface is OK, Wright, Algonquin, Colden are OK. Can't remember if Colvin and Blake have any problem ladders; don't think so.

Woof!

There are a few different ladder sections in the ADK's that dogs MAY struggle with.

• The one mentioned above on Armstrong's East side (coming up from the UWJ/Armstrong col).
  • Another one on Basin's west side coming up from direction of Haystack (and Shorey Shortcut)
  • There are a few ladders along the Ore Bed trail leading up to the Col between Gothics and Saddleback. Should be fine though
  • Not a ladder, but there is a long cable up slab rock on Gothics west face, Again, dogs should do okay on them.
  • One towards the top of Big Slide, like the Ore bed ones, they are bolted into the rock and dogs should do fine on them.

I'm sure there are a few more out there, but these stick out. I should mention that plenty of dogs do do these section, so they are not impossible for dogs, they just require more thought.

i've heard varying reports on avalance pass... mostly that they are doggable

the ladder immediately on the south of indian pass summit is where we encountered problems (northbound), i hear that it is passable southward?
the other two ladders on the southern side were no problem.

we are in no rush on our hikes, as long as we can set up camp by dusk. rather take it in and enjoy, than hustle for the max no. of peaks. we're not in that great 'o shape anyway. just a trio that wants to take a few moments to live on our own... away from the masses and their trappings. so,if we can find a way around... we'll do so.

thanks y'all
d