Lafayette via Old Bridal Path 4/26/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rols

Reaction score
date: 4/26/08

Conditions: Encountered a Spring mix. There was snow, some deep snow, some bare trail all the way to tree line. The spine of snow in the center of the trail was narrow. It varied from less than a foot to 4 feet. It was narrow most of the way and staying on top of it required a balancing act. The snow is melting quickly and there was opportunity to stay to the side of the spine in many places. It was mostly bare rock from tree line to summit.

Equipment I carried snow shoes but did not use them. An early start provided me with firm, somewhat iced snow. I use micro spikes on large sections of the trail with good results. On the descent the snowhad softened allowing me to bare boot most of the way down. I found some form of traction definitely helpful early in the day. There was not too much water on the trail and no real mud to speak of.

Comments: It was a perfect Spring hike. The weather was warm and winds were light. Trail conditions were quite good considering the snowfall of this Winter. There were not many people out but all of those I encountered were savoring the day. It was great running into Jim Davis for the second time in two weeks. It was also great meeting one of the individuals who was involved with both rescues on Lafayette this Winter. It was a terrific day in the mountains.