Lafayette via Skookumchuck 5/22/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rols

Reaction score
date: 5/22/10

trail: Lafayette via skookumchuck

conditions: The trail was in excellent shape. It was mostly dry to 3700'. There were a few minor blowdowns but there were definite signs of trail maintenance (thanks to those who were responsible). I was feeling good about my decision to leave my snowshoes in the car until about 3800'. At first there just a few patches of show; then it be came constant. By the time I was at 4500' I was walking on top of 6 to 8' of snow. For the most part the center of the trail was hard packed and I was easily able to bare boot. There was no snow above treeline (the Franconia ridge was clear of snow). I did briefly throw on some traction on the way down (not necessary) but it took away some of the slipping on the descent.

comments:It was a beautiful day to be out. I had the Skook to myself the entire way up. I passed 4-5 parties who were traveling up as I descended. Every time I hike Skookumchuck I appreciate what a nice rout to Lafayette it is. There were about 16 people on the summit. We were all enjoying the mild temperatures and light winds. Visibility was good. It was nice to have some quality "snow time"; Winter can't get here soon enough as far as I am concerned. Black flies were around especially on the descent. They weren't too troublesome but they did prompt one to keep moving. In summary...it was a very enjoyable day.