Lafayette via Walker Brook Bushwhack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Jefe (jbw)

Reaction score
After staring over at the Franconias from Moosilauke all summer (and slobbering over the first view from the Old Bridle Path), I've become captivated with the ravines on the Western side of the Ridge, especially the two between Lincoln and Lafayette.
After (somehow) managing an early start, we took OBP up until it turns left to ascend Agony Ridge. There we split to the right, intending to head down to the streambed, and follow the Northernmost branch of Walker Brook up to the ravine it forms on Lafayette.
The descent was steep and very thick, but once we hit the streambed, travel became much easier. The right side of this branch generally contains pleasant, open woods in a beautiful valley. Higher up, a small, snow covered side stream parallels the brook (visible on topozone topo) for about half a mile, providing a clear path through the woods. The valley is inspiring with the cliffs of Agony Ridge rising above and peeks into the ravine up head. This portion alone was one of the most beautiful and pleasant snowshoes I've done.
We only brought normal hiking gear (campons, one mountaineering ice axe, snowshoes each, and a couple cordelettes for emergencies) for the ravine, deciding that climbing gear probably wouldn't be worth the effort.
We initially decided to attempt the main (central) gully, and if that proved too much, to either turn back or try another route. Once we reached the ravine, the gully quickly steepened, with patches of water ice becoming mixed in with the snow. Here, we found a radom garden shovel stuck in a tree! (Anyone know a story behind this one?)
About 200 yards past the shovel, the ice became too steep for us to comfortable solo with only one axe (WI2ish for you ice climbers, with a 7 foot vertical section for good measure), so we turned left onto some snow and ice covered slabs. We found that we could pick our way up the slabs, moving into patches of deeper snow in some scrub whenever the ice/snow on the slabs became too thin for comfort.
Although there were a couple dicey sections, the hiking/climbing was fairly straightforward, maybe 45-55 degree good snow, and lower angle ice. There were only a couple of spots where we were worried about a fall, and those had nice solid snow on them.
At length we reached the summit, where a stiff wind greeted us. The descent down OBP was uneventful, although we wished we had sleds.
Overall, a beautiful cloudless day and a great hike!
A couple questions for the peanut gallery -
1. Do people commonly bushwhack up into these ravines? Who has?
2. Any ice climbers know of people climbing in the gullies? It looked pretty good to me, although the approach is somewhat excess.
Sorry about the lack of pictures, the batteries died on the new digital camera...
Happy Hiking all!
El Jefe

I know this gully has been skiied by Bart Paull '02...I forget if they climbed up the gully first or if they went up the OBP.

I've eyed this trip for some time, but never realized it would be as exciting as it seems it was. Now I'm desperate to do it. There is a tremendous amount of potential for random gully bushwacks in the Whites. I climbed Tunnel Brook Ravine on Moosilauke two winters ago, and it's one of the most memorable hikes I've done in NH.

Glad to see the cold isn't slowing you down.

El Jefe (jbw) said:
1. Do people commonly bushwhack up into these ravines?
Certainly not "commonly" by any reasonable definition of that term. But the bushwhack up to Mt. Lincoln by the ravine is something I have heard about a few times, sorry, no details. I am not sure that I have previously heard of an approach to Mt. Lafayette by that route.

I went up Lafayette essentially by that route in 1999, turned around and skied down (with some sections of spruce bushwhack to avoid fatal ice). I didn't climb high on the Agony Ridge base, though; I stuck close to Walker Brook. I didn't see any shovel; curious...

ME, when you speak of Lincoln, do you mean the Dry Brook gully (next Pemi tributary to the south)? It's a more direct route, and the amphitheater near the top of Dry Brook is awesome. You can stick to trails in New England and never find a setting like that!

el-bagr said:
ME, when you speak of Lincoln, do you mean the Dry Brook gully (next Pemi tributary to the south)?
I have never done it myself, so I am not really sure, but from conversations on the trail I always thought it referred to the southern branch of Walker Brook.

Great report !!

In Gene Praters book "Snowshoeing " he gave reference to
"the classic New Hampshire bushwhack up Layfayette Brook to Mt Layfayette"........he goes on to discuss difficulty of thrashing through brush and spruce traps in general.
It has caught my interest since the 1st I ever heard of it...I could be tempted.........

I have often wondered if anybody had met him in the area when
he was alive...I imagine he was Guy Waterman's contemporary, maybe a few years older ??

East side Lafayette

Excited to descover this forum! Has anyone kept going to the large east facing slide paths between Layayette and Lincoln? Ski possiblities? Also interested in the Red Rock brook basin formed by Guyot/Bond/s. Twin. I found somewhat open birch glades on the north side of the brook from the trail to about 2250' when I had to turn back due to time. What is the openess of the terrain on the south side of the brook? The fantasy is to leave the tail and contour up to the first of three nw facing couloirs sometime this sping for some turns.

Re: East side Lafayette

yardsale said:
Excited to descover this forum! Has anyone kept going to the large east facing slide paths between Layayette and Lincoln? Ski possiblities?
Welcome to the forum yardsale!

Yes, That's the Lincoln Slide and it's a sometime bushwhack route down to get to Owl's Head from the Franconias.

Can't say about skiing but I would bet someone has done it. It seems a bit steep with lots of rocks, but then I'm no skier.

Pb

Thanks, PB,
IS the photo on your post of Lafayette? What of year was it.
FYI, accoridng to my mapping software, the slope is about 30-35 degrees, very skiable with safe spring conditions.

Discussion of Lincoln Slide

I climbed OBP to Lafayette, then crossed the ridge (too windswept to ski), then dropped into the col on skis. The slide definitely can be wind-loaded, but I found it (in March) not to be icy except in spots. Moderate bushwhack out to Lincoln Woods Trail when you get low, then a decent ski out on the hiking trails. I don't think you would want fixed-heel gear for this, though, as the bottom part would be a long slog.

yardsale said:
Thanks, PB,
IS the photo on your post of Lafayette? What of year was it.
Yardsale

No my photo is not Lafayette, it's Mt. Chaubvick in Labrador (Torngat Mountains). Note the rounded tops and cirques showing extensive glaciation, both continental and mountain. I assume the photo was taken in July or August. It's a goal of mine to explore the region some day.

Looks like you got your answers to the skiing queries. Good luck.

Pb